• Show
Clear All

• How did this happen

I have a slight problem, I think.

Here's a pic of my driverside coil:
    [IMG][/IMG]

and here's a pic of the pass. side coil:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Notice how close the bump stop is to the coil on the passenger side? I have a feeling I'm going to need to get some adjustable cam bolts for the control arms so I can get it aligned. It didn't have cam bolts, just thick washers to center the control arm :confused: Am I going in the right direction with my thinking?
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

What kind of lift is this? My springs did that too. Turned out the pinion was rotated up too far, once I adjusted the upper control arms (shorter) the diff. rotated back plus gave me back some of the caster angle with no vibes.
    I have the Rubicon 4.5"SF kit, the arms are about 1 or 2 turns out from the shortest adjustment. The bolts may not give you enough adjustment.

Hope this helps, B&T TJ

Comment

Seems to me the control arms are too short for the height of the spring.

Comment

It is a Rough Country 4" series 2 lift. It came with lower arms only, still have stock uppers. What gets me is that it doestn't pull, steering wheel is cocked toward the passenger side, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any trouble. I get a small vibe between 35-40 mph, but it's always done that.
        04 Rubicon
        4.5" RE Super Flex
        1" BL
        CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
        Currie Anti-rock swaybar
        35" el cheapos
        Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

I've straightened the steering wheel twice, and after I tightened everything back up and drove it, it was turned to the right again. I just noticed the bump stop today when I was getting ready to go to work(two days after I put the lift on). I'm not perfect, and after working 14 straight hours on it, I didn't feel up to the third check on everything Could this be the reason why my steering wheel refuses to straighten out and stay straight?
          04 Rubicon
          4.5" RE Super Flex
          1" BL
          CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
          Currie Anti-rock swaybar
          35" el cheapos
          Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Chances are your toe in is out. Here's what do do. Try to get it running straight (forget the steering wheel) on flat ground. Raise the front wheels just off the ground and with a measruing tape plus an extra hand measure the front distance then the rear distance across. Use a tread lug or the casting line around the tire as a reference or draw line around the tire. Set you toe-in at 1/8" (front 58 1/8" rear 58" for example) using the tie-rod for this adjustment (try not to overtighten the clamp bolts). Once this is completed you can lower the tires back on the ground then and adjust your draglink (the bar comming off the steering box) until your steering wheel is striaght.
            One other thing to check is your trackbar adjustment or axle centering. This too maybe out. Again with a tape measure measure the distance from the frame (next to shock or spring but same place on both sides) to the edge of the tire. This should be as close as possible, mine is within 1/8". All this stuff you can do yourself, take it to a alignment shop for a double check, you'll be surprised how close you are.

Good luck, B&T TJ

BTW I was looking at my springs, they kinda look like your too. I'll post pictures if it will help.

Comment

Thanks B&T TJ. Yeah, if its not any trouble some pics would help. I'll have to wait til I can get a hold of my brother to check the toe in, he's more knowledgeable on alignments than I am. I just checked my axle centering and they're very close if not right on. I still have the stock track bar too, so thats good. I'll see if my brother can help me with the toe in, and see if we can get that straightened out.

Thanks again B&T TJ
              04 Rubicon
              4.5" RE Super Flex
              1" BL
              CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
              Currie Anti-rock swaybar
              35" el cheapos
              Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

I figured my problem out What seems to have happened somehow, is the upper coil didn't seat properly. It's off a hair, but not for long, I'm workin on it. Thanks for all your help. All my measurements were right on spec....nothing was off more than about 1/16 inch if that.
                04 Rubicon
                4.5" RE Super Flex
                1" BL
                CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                35" el cheapos
                Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Originally posted by TommyJeep
                  Seems to me the control arms are too short for the height of the spring.
                  Either that or the coil is not in its seat on the axle.
                  [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                  SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                  Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

You got it Dukes It is seated on the axle right, but the upper mount with the rubber cushion is where it didn't seat. Somehow when I was puttin her back together, I got the coil in a bind on it. It was folded over a bit causing the coil to arc like this (, I've got it all straightened out now
                    04 Rubicon
                    4.5" RE Super Flex
                    1" BL
                    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                    35" el cheapos
                    Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Working...
                    X