Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Pitman arm

Just got my jeep out of the shop - one of the items I had put on was a pitman arm. Is this correct with the gap in between the two, the bolt dosen't seem to get any tighter but may if I really try to torque it down. But then again does it matter?
    thanks.....

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscf948d20.jpg
    Last edited by Jeeper Creeper; 12-23-12, 02:06 PM. Reason: forgot image

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
    Just got my jeep out of the shop - one of the items I had put on was a pitman arm. Is this correct with the gap in between the two, the bolt dosen't seem to get any tighter but may if I really try to torque it down. But then again does it matter?
    thanks.....

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscf948d20.jpg
    If i remember right pitman arm is on a taper.dont over tighten or youll be cuttin it off next time you remove it.tight is tight.j

Comment

Think the torque spec is 175ft/lbs
      06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
      07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Ok cool, thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Why did you let them put a drop pitman arm on there?
          An ugly Jeep with some stuff.....

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
            Why did you let them put a drop pitman arm on there?
            Didn't think I could steer without one.:bonk:

Comment

Didn't think I could steer without one.:bonk:
              You can't but you want a regular, not a drop one. Unless you have a drop bracket for the trackbar that is.

Comment

[QUOTE=DevilDogDoc;217433]You can't but you want a regular, not a drop one. Unless you have a drop bracket for the trackbar that is.[/QUOTE

I have a 4 1/2" lift. The book calls for the drop.

Comment

Ok then go by the "book" then. Enjoy the bumpsteer.

Comment

No bumpsteer to deal with, jeep handles great, I don't even have a stabalizer shock. It's funnny though you are the second person to tell me that.

Comment

I apologize, you must either have a magic Jeep that the rules don't apply to or you don't realize that the wheel whipping around when you hit a bump is not normal. Or you have the drop bracket to match the pitman arm. Either way good luck with the Jeep!

Comment

Why squabble over his choice of pitman arm, it's Cristmas lol
                        The biggest thing against a drop pitman arm is their tendency to break other than that if it makes the steering work flawlessly for him, then that is what it took

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          Why squabble over his choice of pitman arm, it's Cristmas lol
                          The biggest thing against a drop pitman arm is their tendency to break other than that if it makes the steering work flawlessly for him, then that is what it took
                          Some people just don't understand if it dosen't work for them why it would work for someone else. :thumbs_up

Comment

Looks like He has a droped TB Bracket to me. It works so run it. 175 on the nut, and it looks good because the shaft is tapered.
                            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

No bumpsteer to deal with, jeep handles great, I don't even have a stabalizer shock. It's funnny though you are the second person to tell me that.
                              Edit from my earlier incorrect & unwarranted rant about that dropped Pitman arm not being needed: I just caught the photo of your track bar bracket & noted it is indeed dropped. A dropped Pitman arm is indeed in order for your TJ.
                              Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 12-24-12, 07:24 PM.
                              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X