Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yj soa shocks beat up

Hey ya'all
    Did some trails in Ocatillo that flexed me to the limites last week and and my front shocks took some damage.

I did a few searches and can't seem to find a wite-up pictures how how/where to mount the shocks to avoid this.

I am about to buy some Bilstein 5160's so they run "up side down" but I think the tube would still get beat up. I was thinking about running it from the U-bolt plate, but then I don't think they would be long enough to flex out.

Here some pics: any ideas?

A guy I work with has some relocators on his TJ. I think they're Pro-Comp. You could flip your spring plates to the opposite sides and use the sway bar stud. You might want a shorter shock, or get some F250 shock mounts from bronco graveyard. You'll never break that setup.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Relocaters on the front axle no worky, get some Ford shock brackets or the Genright hoops, move the shock on top of the axle and call it good, you got axle wrap going on as well as hitting the caliper and the upper spring plate. Moving the shock on top of the axle and raising the upper mount will solve all that.

Comment

I also notice a couple of things. If you are using stock yj springs, they are too soft of a spring for a springover. lots of axle wrap and they will break. also you will be replacing alot of drive shaft ujoints. if you haven't done it yet you need to extend bump stops too. there are only a few springs on market that will work well with springover. the ones I wound up getting are from rubicon express. 1.5 inch lift reverse eye with 6 leaf pack.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll have to look into putting the mounts up top before measuring for the new shocks.

ya those are the stock springs, I knew they wouldn't last but I didn't think they would go that flat after only a couple trails. When I took them off, the rear-half lost all of its curve.
          Just picked up some front waggy springs gonna install reverse to get the axle moved forward an inch or 2.

Comment

just swap out the leafs for coils and don't worry about it

Comment

Here's the article I was talking about - http://www.jpmagazine.com/howto/16719/viewall.html
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

My shocks got beat up on the ol' Kodiak Spirit just like that, I just kept wheelin' it. I figure if they didn't limit my articulation themselves then I would have prolly twisted the ends of the shocks right off. I have seen plenty of broken shocks on the trail. Something always has to give, and that is a really forgiveable problem to have.
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by randysjeep View Post
                  I also notice a couple of things. If you are using stock yj springs, they are too soft of a spring for a springover. lots of axle wrap and they will break. also you will be replacing alot of drive shaft ujoints. if you haven't done it yet you need to extend bump stops too. there are only a few springs on market that will work well with springover. the ones I wound up getting are from rubicon express. 1.5 inch lift reverse eye with 6 leaf pack.
                  The problem with the RE springs is u'll need longer shackles on the rear to keep them from hitting the frame ....other the that they're a good spring...
                  WOKNROX!
                  Let's go wheelin!

Comment

Working...
                  X