Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilspring compressors

I was wondering what would be a good tool brand for a spring compressor. I plan on putting my lift on myself, but I don't have a compressor or the money to have a shop do it. I've checked ebay, and some of the tools for this job look pretty darned scary...couple hooks, a single bolt. just doesn't look safe to me.
    04 Rubicon
    4.5" RE Super Flex
    1" BL
    CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
    Currie Anti-rock swaybar
    35" el cheapos
    Front Bumper & Rockers

Rent from an autoparts store, AutoZone, Kragen, etc. Then you can sue them when it breaks and shatters your jaw. Have fun and keep safe. Prob not worth the cash to buy for a single lift and obviates the liability associated with selling something like this later on.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Spring compressor? naw...just let the axle droop far enough to pull them out. That's what I did with my lift....
      olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

Either of these will work. I used the compressor on mine so I didn't have to disconnect the steering from the axle. Your choice......

Jason
        The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT be infringed!!!!

Comment

I had thought about letting the axle droop, like I did when I put my coil spacers on. The only problem was that it didn't quite droop far enough to slide the springs back in. I had to have someone step on the axle to push it down farther and manually compress the springs about a 1/2 inch. Thought my poor back was gonna fall apart afterward. Talk about a major PITA or actually in my back.
          04 Rubicon
          4.5" RE Super Flex
          1" BL
          CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
          Currie Anti-rock swaybar
          35" el cheapos
          Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

With only a 2" spacer lift, the springs should have gone back in fairly easily. Did you disconnect both the shocks and antiswaybar links so the axle could droop down sufficiently? I never needed a spring compressor until I got to over 4" of suspension lift height.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Yep, removed both front shocks and disconnected the sway bar. I think my biggest problem was my stands....they're just not tall enough. The tires were about 1/4 inch from the ground with the stands set at the highest point. I have a 4 inch lift, and unless I get some taller stands, I'm definately gonna need a spring compressor.
              04 Rubicon
              4.5" RE Super Flex
              1" BL
              CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
              Currie Anti-rock swaybar
              35" el cheapos
              Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

I'd just get taller, like 6-ton, jackstands. Spring compressors are a real PITA.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Don't waste your dough buying them. Rent them. I hear ya with the spine thing. I just shove 3 inch springs on and they were cranky and a PITA to fit. My spacers were pretty easy though, don't know why you'd have a prob. Good luck.
                  I'm a Daddy!!

[COLOR=DarkRed] Rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper!![/COLOR]

2002 Jeep TJ (Ember)
                  1982 Jeep J10 w/ a 360

Comment

Working...
                  X