Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Hauler/Trailer – what to look for/avoid

This is a stretch for General Tech, but is somewhat related to the jeep (hauling it). I’m thinking about get a trailer for the TJ. I’ve done a little research, below is my check list. Anything else to look for? Any brands to look for or avoid? It seems like there are a dozen trailer places in Yucaipa and Banning, any experience with them? Better yet, does anyone know of a good used one?
    ===========================
    16’ flat trailer, no dove tail(it will be stored on side of house, with limited room, thus don't want 18')
    82” deck, inside wheel covering
    Wood deck
    5’ slide in ramps
    Drive over wheel coverings
    5K axles (electric brakes on both)
    Maxis or GY Marathon tires (5), load range D
    Chassis mounted drop down jack (not on tongue)
    6 tie downs, plus Pentle Eye or tie down in middle-front (to winch myself on to trailer)
    Stake pockets all around
    Recessed LED lights
    Front stop/rub rail
    Pit Bull coupler

You can have the trailer built a little wider so you don't have to drive over the fenders. Fold out fenders like the U haul trailers work pretty good also. Brakes on just one axle work fine. Other than that you have a nice list of specs

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060004.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	358245

I bought mine from Brock's Trailers in Bakerfield quite a while ago. Don't know if he still makes them. It is a 12 foot steel deck, with brakes on both axles. He designed the trailer specifically for Jeeps. Here is a link to his business.....looks like he is rebuilding his page:

http://www.brockstrailersinc.com/

This has been a great trailer and pulls nicely.
      Rich

Comment

Wood decks add a lot of unnecessary weight. My deck is expanded metal except for the tire track.

I have brakes on both axles.

I carry 2 spare tires.

Slide in ramps are a pain in the arse.

Emergency brake should be on your list.

Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
          This is a stretch for General Tech, but is somewhat related to the jeep (hauling it). I’m thinking about get a trailer for the TJ. I’ve done a little research, below is my check list. Anything else to look for? Any brands to look for or avoid? It seems like there are a dozen trailer places in Yucaipa and Banning, any experience with them? Better yet, does anyone know of a good used one?
          16’ flat trailer, no dove tail(it will be stored on side of house, with limited room, thus don't want 18')
          82” deck, inside wheel covering
          Wood deck
          5’ slide in ramps
          Drive over wheel coverings
          5K axles (electric brakes on both)
          Maxis or GY Marathon tires (5), load range D
          Chassis mounted drop down jack (not on tongue)
          6 tie downs, plus Pentle Eye or tie down in middle-front (to winch myself on to trailer)
          Stake pockets all around
          Recessed LED lights
          Front stop/rub rail
          Pit Bull coupler
          I thought you had a Big Tex at IDTT last year. Was it borrowed, like the trailer I had?
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Doug - I was going the wood deck route, mainly becuase of weight savings over solid steel. I like your "hybrid". Did you buy it that way, or did you pull the middle wood planks and add the expanded metal yourself? I do want to keep the trailer as light as possible (but can't justify the price of aluminum). My RV has a about 7,000 lbs towing capacity, but only a class III 5,000/500 receiver. So, I'll be beefing up the receiver or replacing it with a class IV.

Matt - I remember talking to you about trailers at IDTT. But, I've only flat towed thus far.

Art - with 82" between the wheels, I don't really need drive over fenders (I'm right at 80" wide). I just wanted to be sure I didn't get the flimsy fenders that you can't walk on.

Cliff
            Last edited by CVD; 10-30-12, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CVD View Post
              Doug - I was going the wood deck route, mainly becuase of weight savings over solid steel. I like your "hybrid". Did you buy it that way, or did you pull the middle wood planks and add the expanded metal yourself?
              I pulled the planks and did it myself.
              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Get two spare tires. I got my trailer custom made from Carson with similar specs. You also get about 10 different color choices beyond just black if you custom order

I would also suggest that if your not in a big hurry save and custom order it, mine was about $4000 but is exactly the way I wanted

Ditto on Doug's commit on brakes on both axles

Just my two cents, I will post up some picks later
                Last edited by HookandLadder; 10-30-12, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I would do a 12' or 14' trailer like Rich did. My last jeep trailer was 14' and the best trailer for towing a jeep I have ever owned. Less weight and easier to park.
                  IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I can add a couple of suggestion...The dove tail makes for easy loading and unloading offen just drive right on and off with the ramps. Also check to see if they paint the underside of the trailer, not many mfg Do? I had my trailer built by AZTEC (inland empire), had them paint the entire trailer, top and bottom. Added many custom options, the trailer works great!

Comment

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
                      I can add a couple of suggestion...The dove tail makes for easy loading and unloading offen just drive right on and off with the ramps. Also check to see if they paint the underside of the trailer, not many mfg Do? I had my trailer built by AZTEC (inland empire), had them paint the entire trailer, top and bottom. Added many custom options, the trailer works great!
                      Not everybody is happy with Aztec trailers, I am, for one I could afford it, secondly they made it wider for me.
                      It's a fairly light trailer which I wanted, It had crap tires but for the money I was ok with that.
                      For 1500 bucks tax and reg included for a extra wide trailer, that is about as good as it gets on my budget.
                      Bought some good quality load range D tires for it and it tows like a dream. Took the center planks out to loose more weight and braced the frame so I can plow on it without the ramps. Overall for the money it was a good buy to me.
                      Are there better trailers out there yes but they cost considerably more

Comment

Good point ensure the bottom side gets painted. My Carson trailer was not

I also had it made to a deck length of 15' making the over length less than 20' allowing to fit in a storage parking spot at 10'x20'

Comment

I've got a Big Tex 70CH. 7,000#, 14' wood (non dove), slide ramps. Tandem axle (spring over axle) electric brakes on both. Tear drop fenders (to stand on). Bull Dog coupler, w/ break away battery and chassis mounted landing gear. Front bump stop.
                          I added a small tool (storage) box to the tongue, complete LED lights, 15" x 8" wheels and D-ring tie down points.
                          I also mounted the license plate on the left fender. I have access to interlocking landing mat and will probably do 2 tire strips and expanded sheet metal fix.

Steve
                          All slow and no show

Comment

, had them paint the entire trailer, top and bottom. !
                            I second this suggestion. Also remember the wood should be retreated about once a year to prevent rot.
                            Check out .

Comment

Looks like I’ll need one built, so it can fit in my spot alongside the garage. I’ve talked to Carson, Brocks (Bakersfield), and Imago (Colton). Has anyone dealt with Imago? One line reviews are good, I’d like to hear from someone who’s bought from them.

http://www.imagotrailers.com/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X