Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storing jerry cans?

So I have 3 jerry cans, one pretty old one that just just cleaned out, and it's suprisingly good looking on the inside! It has an old style removable metal bendable spout, and a very good cap that doesn't leak a drop.

And I've got two newer "Blitz" jerry cans that have a plastic screw cap, and no spouts, with the cap on I I'm pretty sure they leak a little bit.

So, I put gas in all of them to test them out (still need to get a spout for the newer ones!) I'm going to carry the old one with the nice spout around in the willys, (because my gas gauge doesn't work!) and I'm going to leave the newer ones at home (empty) and only put them in the jeep and fill them up when I take the willys offroading or on long-ish trips (which I hope to do sometime in the future).

So, I say all that to ask this:

How should I store the cans when they are empty? They still have a ton of fumes in them, do I just close them up? Or do I leave them outside opened up for an afternoon or so to let a bunch of the fumes out, then close them up? I'll be keeping them inside my garage, I don't really have a place to keep them outside that wouldn't either be susceptible to someone stealing them, or constantly getting wet by sprinklers at night. What's the safest way to store these?
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-27-12, 11:53 AM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

When mine get empty. I just put the caps on, and put them in the corn of the garage. I've never had any issues. I've been do'n this for 20 years. If your worried about fumes, put them outside during the day, then cap them and into the garage. I've done this with both steel, and plastic cans.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
      When mine get empty. I just put the caps on, and put them in the corn of the garage. I've never had any issues. I've been do'n this for 20 years. If your worried about fumes, put them outside during the day, then cap them and into the garage. I've done this with both steel, and plastic cans.
      you have corn in your garage? Must be a big garage.
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Maybe he uses them for E85 fuel???

Comment

LOL :-D

I just let them sit for a few hours open, then capped them and stuffed them into the garage. I'll just make sure to not do any welding or grinding anywhere near them.
          [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
          www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
            LOL :-D

I'll just make sure to not do any welding or grinding anywhere near them.
            Don't worry about that much; if you do set one off, its only vapor so it will make a loud BANG! sound, but that will be about it
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
              its only vapor
              Gasoline burns, gasoline vapor explodes.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Inhalation burns due to explosions in an enclosed area are usually fatal. Basically fire forcing itself down your nose, mouth, lungs.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Store them with the cap on so vapors stay inside. Or if it really spooks you rinse them with some diesel, diesel fuel isn't as volatile.
                  When welding fuel tanks you either rinse them with water or use mig welding gas or something similar to fill the tank since it's inert it displaces the flammable vapors

Comment

Hav'n welded many fuel tanks.
                    Fill the EMPTY/DRY tank, with Argon gas.
                    LG
                    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Working...
                    X