Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reckless-Abandon Proof

I've heard the term "reckless abandon proof" thrown around a few times. That sounds like what I'm looking for right now. A setup that can withstand driving that is in the category of "reckless abandon". haha!

So anyway, my body mounts, shock mounts, and my control arm mounts are starting to take a beating, and I imagine after another year of wheeling they will need to be replaced or reinforced in some way.

I have already welded in some "mini skids" on the lower front controls arm mounts, which appears to be holding up pretty good. But they have only seen two trails so far, I don't know how long they will last on the factory mounts.

And the body mounts, the brackets holding the mounting bolts have folded over (almost all of them) and the bolts that hold the body to the frame have either bent or are angled forward now. I suspect all of them are ready to be replaced soon.

The front differential cover, I have a Riddler cover on the way, I imagine that will be more than enough to replace the factory cover that is starting to dent up.

So. What's the solution for the body mounts? Shock mounts, and lower control arm mounts? Is there a solution that is "Reckless abandon" proof? Asside from just beefing them up, is there a weld-in solution to get the lower shock & control arm mounts raised up some how, so they don't stick down as far? I'm happy with the suspension setup, I don't want to change it to much, if I don't have to.

Last edited by daniel_buck; 10-26-12, 10:52 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

I have similar looking body mounts... once they get too bad, they will be remade much like the stockers but flipped upside down and with the body lift puck removed... even the lowest part will be above the top of the framerail.

Comment

If you really want to drive with reckless abandon, build yerself one of them rock bouncing buggies.

You could buy or make some of these.
      http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=BMT2001

You could box them in (with a bolt hole) for better durability. I made mine out of 3" x 4", 3/16" rect tubing. All 3 sets are different, and you still need support in the other mount locations. Would be cleaner all-around, and wouldn't look pucked up, like it does now.

You could do an outboard shock setup. There are kits out there, or you could source and make the parts a lot cheaper.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

These are pretty beefy body mounts. I like that they're boxed in and angled to help slide over stuff.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/BERTHA-Wr...Skid_c_28.html

If you replace your current mounts you can remove your body lift pucks and weld in the new ones higher on the frame to help out with clearance.
        "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Body mounts as above, rear shock mounts cut them off, outboard the shocks and raise the lower mounts even with the axle.
          Raise the lower rear control arm mounts on the rear axle for better traction while you are at it. Front lower control arm mounts on the axle hold up just fine if they have a decent skid welded on. For the frame mounts trim them and plate the outside of them to make them less prone to bending. Other than that for reckless abandon, bigger axles and tires to get more clearance and make the Jeep more bullet proof.
          There is a point where you either buy a buggy or the Jeep morphs into this.

Lil Jeep does well, but this not take anywhere near the abuse the big one does.

The difference in ride offroad and the amount of abuse they both take without damage is night and day.
          The big one actually rides every bit as nice or better on the road also

Comment

I like the way those Swag BERTHA mounts are shaped underneath--very clean and slippery.

I don't like the way they don't seem to tie into the top of the frame rail. That means all of the stress they carry (which can be enough to squash stock mounts) will be on the 1/8" wall frame side. I would modify them accordingly.

They will collect junk, which will be bad news in wet weather (has been linked to cancer!). I would probably grind a round open space or two where the bottom is welded to the frame.
            holes = cowbell

Comment

Some of those replacement body mounts (especially the genright ones that can be boxed, with an access hole cut) sounds like a good idea, will have to put that on the list for the future!

Raising the control arm mounts, I like the sound of this! And outboarded shocks (with rotated spring perches) on the rear is passively on my list.

Front control arm lower mounts I've welded in a set of skids, so far they are doing pretty good. Before the skids they had already started to fold over a bit, hopefully after I straightened them out and added the skid, that extra geometry there will keep it sound.

Now that the TJ isn't my daily driver, I can afford to have it down for longer lengths of time. I hope to start making it more bullet proof. I don't think I want to get into bigger axles and tires (at least not now anyway) But for what I do have, I want to try and beef it as much as is reasonable to do.
              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

It's a slippery slope lol. Once you start there is no end

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Indeed, a slippery slope--into MADNESS!!!
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                    Indeed, a slippery slope--into MADNESS!!!
                    So when are we going to see some stealth pics of the red rednecked Jeep, David?

Comment

In time, in time. It's just a bolt-on build--the hard way. We have drilled many holes, yes we have.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

Like I said, it's not my DD anymore. who knows what will happen

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                          In time, in time. It's just a bolt-on build--the hard way. We have drilled many holes, yes we have.
                          Jeep cheese instead of Swiss cheese eh.

Comment

Jeep cheese instead of Swiss cheese eh.
                            Quite. Whoever said "It isn't easy bein' cheesy" wasn't lying.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAw&dur=333
                              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Working...
                              X