Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I miss my carburetor

While out deer hunting with my son-in-law, and grand children we did some scouting around White mountain, then headed over to Holchom creek. The ol Cruiser was running fine, but it seem to be running rich. Later in the afternoon on our way back home the ol girl died about 6 times. It would act like it was flooding. We'd stop for about 15 seconds, then hit the key, and she'd fire right up. mmmmm, this shit is getting old. Well we make it home and I tell you I was about to tear her apart, and put the carb back on. My son-in-law came by after church with his lap top and we plug it in. Turns out that the temp sensor was acting up, and was reading about 100 degree different then the actual temp. The computer thought that it never got up to running temp, so it was staying in the start mold. Running about 10/1 rich. Plugged the wire into my sending unit for the dash and the idle changed drastically. Though now it was reading to high on the computer, the air fuel ratio changed to 13.8/1. Unplug it and went into the house, and got on the computer in my office to learn that the thottle body uses the same temp sensor as my Camaro. Well looky here, I just happen to have one. Switched em out and low and behold the ol girl is running fine again. I tell you, this computerize stuff can sometimes make you want to beat your head against the wall.
    Next time I do the Dusy, I'm taking my carburetor with me, Kevin.

That's computers - making life "easier and faster" every day...
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

I have a Professional Product throttle body fuel injection. It looks like a carburetor with the computer on the side of the carb. The computer failed in the garage as we were testing things. They replaced it. First time out to IDTT in calico, less then a tank of gas the fuel pump failed at the worst time causing the ol girl to lay over on her side. They replaced the pump. Front fender still shows the scars. Second pump lasted one tank of gas then died at my son's house. They replace it with a Waldro pump. The Waldro is wrapped and sitting in the storage compartment under the drivers seat. Oh did I forget to mention that the Waldro pump required special fittings? They didn't include those, so I had to order them, and they aren't cheap. I had enough of the cheap chinese knock off crap so I ordered a Mallory fuel pump at $250 and change. So far no problem with the fuel pump, but I ordered a second one that I carry with me.Just in case.
      Now the temp unit fails, but I learned how to get around it, if I have to by hooking into my sending unit for the fans. Won't know how hot the engine is, but I have a bypass setup so I could leave the fans on. I'm a master at Mickey Mouse, Jerry Rig and bubble gum and duct tape when it comes to the old stuff. This is a whole new learning curve. Just need to carry a laptop and all available parts with you. Sometimes I miss my carbuetor, Kevin.
      Last edited by 1 Bad F N Z; 10-14-12, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
        I have a Professional Product throttle body fuel injection. It looks like a carburetor with the computer on the side of the carb. The computer failed in the garage as we were testing things. They replaced it. First time out to IDTT in calico, less then a tank of gas the fuel pump failed at the worst time causing the ol girl to lay over on her side. They replaced the pump. Front fender still shows the scars. Second pump lasted one tank of gas then died at my son's house. They replace it with a Waldro pump. The Waldro is wrapped and sitting in the storage compartment under the drivers seat. Oh did I forget to mention that the Waldro pump required special fittings? They didn't include those, so I had to order them, and they aren't cheap. I had enough of the cheap chinese knock off crap so I ordered a Mallory fuel pump at $250 and change. So far no problem with the fuel pump, but I ordered a second one that I carry with me.Just in case.
        Now the temp unit fails, but I learned how to get around it, if I have to by hooking into my sending unit for the fans. Won't know how hot the engine is, but I have a bypass setup so I could leave the fans on. I'm a master at Mickey Mouse, Jerry Rig and bubble gum and duct tape when it comes to the old stuff. This is a whole new learning curve. Just need to carry a laptop and all available parts with you. Sometimes I miss my carbuetor, Kevin.
        One of the reasons I try very hard to stay away from aftermarket racer brown hotrod parts.
        A simple Chevy TBI setup would have been easier to find, a lot cheaper and a whole lot more reliable.
        On top of that do you know of any part store or junk yard that doesn't have Chevy parts?

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]Tell ya what Kevin... we can trade my carb for your set-up... ANY DAY. [/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

[QUOTE=USMC 0369;214512][COLOR="#800000"]Tell ya what Kevin... we can trade my carb for your set-up... ANY DAY. [/COLOR][/QUOT

I'm into it now, when it works it nice for crawling, but I'm going to setup a backup system for when we go back to the Dusy. Everything I've read says it the cat meow, MSD came out last year with a similar system, but so many failures for only 1600 miles on the Cruiser since rebuild. Computer, two fuel pumps, now a water sending unit????? something that should last for years????? who would have thunk. Only thing left is the O2 sensor, going to get a spare to carry with me.

Comment

Working...
            X