Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 44 axle/drum problem.

Hey guys/gals just joined the site, was hoping to get some help on a new axle I just installed.

Got a junk yard dana 44 and the driver side drum making scraping noise. Took em off and can see the drum is rubbing on the brake plate. Seems the axle on the driver side does not "stick out" as much as the passenger side. (Passenger side is wroking fine.)

Passanger side sticks out about 1/8 of an inch more. (both drums work fine on the right side and both rub on the left side.(looks like same part number is supposed to be used for both sides so the Drums appear fine)

Not sure if there is a bearing spacer or backing plate issue? Any help appreciated.

Chris

Is your break hardware(springs, pins etc) new or old? Can you wiggle the brake assembly from either side? Try checking this and make sure your breaks are seated properly, my passenger side e-brake on my rear axle was not seated correctly due to a bad pin and it was making a scrapping noise too.

Comment

Good advice on the seating of the shoes. Are they on in the right orientation? The long shoe should be on the side the e-brake ties into. The other thing to look at is to rotate the bare axle hub to see if the shaft is bent. Not knowing the history of it, it's worth checking. Oh yeah, welcome to MJR!
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

thanks for the info but i didnt explain correctly... the inside of the brake drum is scraping the outer rolled lip of the brake backing plate (not the shoes) and the scrape marks are equal on all sdes.. inside the drum... (ill check the axle straitnes tomorrow... but if that were the case id expect only one wide of the drum to be scraped up...)

Comment

Are the rub marks even all around the backing plate? If its only rubbing on part of the backing plate then something is bent or not installed right, or loose. If its rubbing evenly all the way around the backing plate, it might be that axle was put together with the axles on the wrong side (there is one axle longer than the other). Its fairly easy to mix them up. Since you don't know the history of the axle (or do you)? it's best to just pull the axles and see if that is the issue. If the axle housing is bent, the backing plate would only show rub marks on one side or the other. There are a couple of other things that might cause this but I would look at those rub marks and make a decision on whether to take the axles out or not. If the axle is bent it is way bent if it is causing the backing plate and drum to rub. Another thing to look at is get a friend to drive the Jeep away from you and see if the tires wobble. You may have a bent drive flange on the side that is rubbing. If a drive flange is bent the rubbing will even all the way around the backing plate and only in one spot on the drum.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Some pics would be helpful.

Comment

I don't know about D44 for a YJ, but on a TJ there are different axle retainer plates for disc brakes and drum brakes. On a TJ, the disc brake retainer plate has a raised flange and the drum brake retainer plate is flat. The purpose of the different retainer plates is to adjust the distance between the brake hardware and the backing plate. Here's a picture on Stu-offroad's site of the retainer plate for a disc brake application:

Could you have the wrong axle retainer plate on your axle shaft? If so, you will need the correct retainer and a new bearing (because you will destroy the old bearing when you replace the retainer).
              Last edited by Russ Chung; 10-09-12, 08:11 AM.
              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
              KI6MLU

Comment

getting closer

Thanks for all the replies guys... I guess Ted was right about you guys.. thanks Ted (good luck with your DIY SYE)

Well I'm no expert, but appears to be 2 differnt sized bearing "sets"

Can't find the post picture button on this site,, and havn't spent the time reading the stickies.. ;| Hope this works.

Here is a pickture of the 2 axles with the races out of alignment. I am not sure next step.. can the bearing retainer be pressed on TOO MUCH? or some knuckle-head installed wrong bearing on 1 side?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3331868...in/photostream

Comment

20121009_221136 by chicharrone, on Flickr

Comment

Is this D35 rear axle or D44? One of those bearings is for a D35 and one is for a D44. Duh. You said D44. So the bearing on the far axle from the camera has a D35 bearing, or at least it looks that way in this picture. A picture with the outer races off would help. But I suggest you just go get two new bearings and seals and have them replaced by a good machine shop.
                    Last edited by RAT; 10-11-12, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Not sure the bearing seat is the same diameter for the D35, but it's worth looking at. Judging from the crudification on the closer shaft, it looks like that seal is shot. Pull the races off and see if someoone didn't happen to put the retainer on before the bearing on one of them. Also, with the shafts sitting like that, side by side, do they measure out to be the same length? It shouldn't matter depth wise, but if one was hitting the cross shaft, it would definitely stick out farther. Another thing to consider is; are the backing plates straight? If it ever took a good whack from a rock, curb, or falling off a jack etc, the front/lower or back of the plate could be bent in any direction.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Well the wrong bearing was pressed way down and the seal area was all scorched. Exchanged the bad axle put on new bearings, and all is good in the D44 world! Now I just need to drop it off for some gears!

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                          crudification
                          [COLOR="#800000"]I had to read this several times before I realized... I don't think that's a real word.[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                            [COLOR="#800000"]I had to read this several times before I realized... I don't think that's a real word.[/COLOR]
                            Looked it up- General (1 matching dictionary)
                            crudification: Worthless Word For The Day [home, info]

Also, from the Obscure Words website- the process or result of making something crude; an example of this

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/crudifi...#ixzz29VNL4WJk

Comment

Some words don't have to be in the dictionary, for you, to know what they mean.
                              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                              X