Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing

Not gonna name the person or the site, but on another site someone was selling an OBA set up for nearly 1300.00. I couldnt believe it! I thought, did they throw one to many zero's in there or something?

So I went to a reputable OBA website dealer who sells a Yor[COLOR="#000000"]k[/COLOR] 210 OBA setup (whom I confirmed w/that seller that it was the same place he bought his from) with all the do-dads whom I did in fact use as a source for SOME of my items when I did my set up and actually used their recipe to build my own. Low-and-behold, the vendor wanted 1250.00

I sourced from several places and got the york210 from Ontario Pick-A-Part for 30.00 plus the 3.00 at the door. After sourcing everything I might of dropped 400.00 and its an AWESOME DIY project.

My point of posting is that it seriously pays off to do your best to DIY (especially mechanical upgrades and repairs). Ive done several projects to my jeep as a DIY and probably have saved thousands, from building my own swing away tire carrier, my OBA, a rear in-seat 10 inch sub box set up, suspension mods, bump stops, carpet kit, cold air intake, battery tray, on and on!
    Besides the money, it's 10x the fun!
    Last edited by brokenujoint; 10-06-12, 07:35 AM.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

That's great. Nice work. I'm with you on sourcing out parts. Saved me a ton of money on my build. Post up some pictures.
    Check out .

Comment

well, here's one of my tire carrier I made from a 750 lb trailer spindle and some tubing from the steel yard. latch from McMaster-Carr.com and the tire mount from AtoZfab http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/home.php?cat=

speaker box that hits HARD!

stinger and hoop
      4.6 stroker that I built but decided to go a different route.
      Last edited by brokenujoint; 10-05-12, 03:31 PM.

Comment

That speaker box is innovative. Nice job. I've made, a few things for my jeeps over the years. Not only, do you save cash. Nothing beats the sense of pride you get, with your self made, one off, parts only your jeep has.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Your junk looks good. What did you make the speaker box out of, and why?
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Why? because I enjoy my 80's rock and driving down the street listening to pathetic dash speakers with the top down, noisy tires, and road noise wasnt cutting it. I had a conventional box put into the rear of the jeep but it served a few negatives. 1. it was eye candy to thieves and two well built boxes got stolen. one time slicing my top up to get to it. Another reason was storage. I like as much space as possible and it allowed me to make that much more space.

It's been yrs since I made it and to be honest I got the design online from some one else out there who was kind enough to put up his design template. I just copied it. I used medium density board from Home depot and used nails/wood glue/and clamps. I then used sound deadening foam for the joints as well. The black paint makes it look like crap but I used it to seal any tiny areas in the wood. I must say, the rear seat in my jeep is now HEAVY. It's 100 % functional as a seat and is still comfortable and out of sight is out of mind. It still folds up and allows for storage space.

Amazing after yrs, the link is still online.. go to the jeeps project link on the right of the page http://www.sirgcal.com/

I did the large version.
            Last edited by brokenujoint; 10-07-12, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I wasn't questioning why you did the project in the first place, but rather why you chose whatever material you did. From the picture I thought it might be some kind of black acrylic plastic or something. Different materials obviously have different acoustical properties. Seems like that medium density board wouldn't resonate much.

Why seems self-explanatory. There isn't a lot of room in a Jeep for large speakers, and the more out-of-sight things are, the better. That's solution is pretty nifty for anyone who runs a back seat. I no longer have room, so I have to go another route.

I have another question, but I think I'll start another thread.

EDIT: Here's that thread:
              http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...plifier-Advice
              Last edited by inVERt'D; 10-07-12, 04:07 PM.
              holes = cowbell

Comment

Great looking Jeep!
                Tony
                1A Auto
                CALL ME DIRECT 866-403-3393
                1A Auto Parts Install Videos|1A Aauto Blog

Comment

Working...
                X