Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synth, Winch Line

What is the life span, of a synth winch line? I'm wondering how much I have to worry about deterioration. I do keep a cover on the winch.
    It was like that when I got here.

not as long as a steel line but only relevant to how you use it and maintain it. Also depends on the type of synthetic that you get. Here is an interesting read
    http://www.winchline.com/winchline.html
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

My first syn line (3/8" x 120') was on the spool for over three years without failure. I can't say for sure but there has to be at least 1000 heavy pulls on that line. Used alot for AAT work. I do not cover it but it is garaged. I clean it every time it gets oil or anything like that on it. I still have it and will probably load it on another winch in the future. The one i have now is the same, except it's blue, and it shows no signs of failure or even excessive wear after two years and at least 400 heavy pulls.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

On my FToy I run about 75 ft of the original 3/8 line I had on my CJ7, so I would guess it is from the early 2000s. I now run the winch from the CJ7 on my JK and replaced that broken line with another 100 footer of 3/8....so I would guess almost 10 years old. I don't do anything special, except both vehicles are parked in the garage.
        Rich

Comment

Good to hear. I have a T-Max winch, that the line came with. I did get it used. But I don't think its more then 5 years old. Thanks for the info.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I would suggest, if you haven't already, to pull the line all the way out of the spool to check for cuts and abrasions. Only because you bought it used. Just in case there is a bad spot hiding in there.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Modern synthetic winch lines have plenty of anti-UV coatings added to them to keep sun damage from becoming an issue. Heck the marine industry long-ago went with synthetic lines and theirs stay outside on the decks & docks in the sun for years. My previous TJ's synthetic line from Viking was 6-7 years old and still in good condition the last time I saw it before that Jeep was stolen. Heck synthetic was outlasting my previous wire ropes by a wide margin, I had already replaced its OE wire rope with more wire rope twice by the time I finally installed synthetic.

Just make sure to go with 3/8" and not 5/16", you need a slight extra safety margin with synthetic since it is obviously not as resistant to damage from things like being dragged over sharp rocks.
              Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 09-08-12, 08:42 AM.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I've had my synthetic line (Viking I believe) for about 2 years now. It doesn't get used all THAT much, but it does get used, and it's never covered. It does have a thin rock sleeve on the first 10 feet or so (that can slide around to position it where ever you need it), so far it's been holding up great.

I've got a thimble on the front of mine, so I just suck the line in until the thimble contacts the fairlead. I've never cleaned the line, but then again it's never really had anything but water and dust on it, so it probably doesn't need to be cleaned.
                [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
                X