Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE track bar bracket

I know a few of you have the 4.5" superflex kit.....I need a quick (rough) measurement. How close is your track bar to the gas tank skid plate????

Mine is freakin' CLOSE!!!!! Like, barely slide a piece of paper between them, close.

I originally tried to use my OE driveshaft (I am only using 3.5" springs, and have a SYE). That didn't work, so I rotated my pinion up to fit a CV shaft in there. This made the trackbar bracket not work so well....so rather than spend another $65 on the RE bracket for the CV driveshaft, I modified the one I have to work with the rotated pinion (as in, I made a few cuts, welded in the appropriate piece of metal to make the angle of the bracket correct). Now the angle is right, but it is way to close to the tank (IMO). There is no way to move it away from the tank without completely re-designing it (BTW, mine is now just like the RE CV shaft bracket--just not quite a perty).

Ok, so someone please go look and see how close your trackbar is!!!!

thanks.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

I dont have to look and measure. I know mine is close too! . . . Very close! When I got my Jeep it had a stock track bar with a reloc. bracket. When I swapped to the Currie track bar, it hit the gas tank. Luckily the 4XDr gas skid has slotted mounting points, so all I had to do was slide the tank back, and that fixed it. But its still CLOSE!!!!
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

If you have upper and lower adjustable length control arms, you can shorten them both a little to pull the axle forward a bit while maintaining the proper pinion angle. The axle can be a little forward of center since it moves backwards slightly when it stuffs upwards.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I had the same problem. I ended up Jeepin' it (J ust E mpty E very P ocket) and bought the RE Rear Trackbar. Seems they make their stuff to work with their stuff. I also had to use the angle bracket so if you know someone who needs the re-locate bracket (non-angled) I have one as well as the T-case drop kit(free to any MJR subscriber). I had to go the SYE & CVC shaft route too but once it was over (the money drain) all worked well.

You'll get through this, I promise, B&T TJ

Comment

Well, since I dont' have a driveshaft in it yet (will be here tuesday), I'm hoping I have the pinion rotated up to far. If I can roll it back down a little, it will open up some space there. I may eventually end up with a adjustable track bar, but for now, my pockets are already empty.

KG6OWO

Comment

Mine has bout a centimeter of clearance from the 2003 OEM skid. I have an adj trackbar and adj arms all around.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

What kind of gas tank skid are you running if any? You might be able to notch the skid. The tank itself is usually a half inch or more away. Its a bit of work cause you have to drop it to do it, dont want to be die grinding near that plastic.

Comment

Get the RE angled bracket. It moves the track bar away from the gas tank. It is designed to work with an adjustable track bar and with rotating the pinion. It makes everything square.
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

OK, here's the story. Once I installed my driveshaft, I found that I had rotated the pinion up to far. Once I lowered it back to 2* below the driveshaft, there is clearance between the track bar and the tank. The angle I put into the RE bracket worked out almost perfect.

The shocks showed up this morning, unfortunately, the spring buckets were in the way out back. Nothing a little chopping couldn't fix.

I was able to re-use the OE steering stabalizer, which I didn't think I would be able to (ref: other thread). so that worked out OK. Test drive went good, but I need to lower the pinion a bit more, it seems. I am picking up a low frequency vibration starting about 40 mph when I am on the gas pretty hard....goes away when I let up. So I'll go down another 1/2* and try it again. How far down are you guys running your pinions?

And last but not least.....this thread wouldn't be right without the obligatory poser pics. Sorry I couldn't find any bigger rocks without going out of town.

oops.....forgot, it is a RE 4.5" superflex with 3.5" springs. Actual lift came out to right at 4", so when it settles, I am expecting to see the 3.5" I am after.

KG6OWO

Comment

NIIIIIICE she looks good!
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Looks good Dude!

What shocks are you running?
                      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
                      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment