Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
    battery terminals and cables were already checked. Why would a grounding issue only show up when it heats up?
    Because when the wires get hot resistance builds.

Comment

Somebody else mentioned a broken fuse link....you could have one starting to fray...off of the + side of the battery, you will find 2-3 fuse links...tug on them with a little force to see if they pull apart.

I cant explain why it is only due to heat, but the way there is no power throughout is indicative of a ground fault or a short. Have you looked into any ares where the loom could be rubbing and chaffed a couple of wires to short out?

Without seeing the Jeep, I can only throw guesses at you and possible scenarios...If I get a chance to talk to my dad today I will bring it up with him...he has been a mechanic for over 50 years...he has seen it all.

Comment

Originally posted by HB Jeeper View Post
        I cant explain why it is only due to heat...
        The previous quote stated one good possible reason pretty succinctly:
        Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
        Because when the wires get hot resistance builds.
        What's more, when metal gets hot it expands. Bolts and screws get a little bit longer; crimps and tube splices open up ever so slightly; connections can get a little looser.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Think I may have found it. Yesterday I noticed that the tie down bracket that holds down the battery was loose and the battery was able to slide around a little bit. Didnt think to much of it and just tightened it down and continued looking around. Drove it for about an hr today with several starts and no issues.
          Did an oil change today.. while I was taking off the oil filter I casually looked @ the battery again & noticed that on the + side it looked like the nut that tightens down the cable had burn marks on it. The hood did not. Looks like when the battery shifted around it may have hit the hood & grounded out. Makes good sense that when it happened I'd have issues. Every time it did die out I would pop the hood & wiggle stuff. Never noticed the battery shifted.
          Hopefully it's fixed. Will keep ya'll updated for those who are following/care. A little hard to see but.....
          Last edited by brokenujoint; 08-15-12, 06:11 PM.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Good to hear....

Comment

Almost always its the simple things... Hope that was it.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Seems to have been. Drove it about 25 miles today and no issues whatsoever. With that out of the way, I Went to an alignment shop and got great news today. Basically my 30 front end is need of an upgrade. Tubes are bent, inner axle ears are stretched, ball joints are on the way out, sway bar mounts are jacked,..... Have always hated my 30 to begin with, so it's time to save for the inevitable. Dynatrac time!

Comment

Seems to have been. Drove it about 25 miles today and no issues whatsoever. With that out of the way, I Went to an alignment shop and got great news today. Basically my 30 front end is need of an upgrade. Tubes are bent, inner axle ears are stretched, ball joints are on the way out, sway bar mounts are jacked,..... Have always hated my 30 to begin with, so it's time to save for the inevitable. Dynatrac time!
                  Wow! I loved the D30 in mine. Almost broke my heart to upgrade... I did say almost.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

You're still gonna beat it with a rock, right?
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Update:::::

Went out to my jeep today. Tried to start it up and ... click. Stereo came on and the gauges came on after some hesitation. Battery voltage was in the red. Around 9 Popped the hood and noticed the positive terminal was completely flat black in color. .. SIGH.. Well, now I know it's one of two things for the most part.
                      Took the battery out, ran it over to VatoZone. It's fully charged @ 8volts. She's DEAD... Funny thing is, the tech who tested it turned it over and it had a sticker on it. "K-22" Whatever that means. And then 11-3... It was from Nov of 2003.. LOL. I guess I got my full use out of it. Just purchased ahttp://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P and even got a nice discount. Going to pick it up right now and then test out the Alternator.

I HATE replacing parts and LOVE doing upgrades but I guess from time to time it's gotta get done.

Comment

I HATE replacing parts and LOVE doing upgrades but I guess from time to time it's gotta get done.
                        Not cheap, but a very nice battery. Would be an upgrade for me.
                        holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                        X