Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best alternator to run on my 94 YJ?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best alternator to run on my 94 YJ?

I am running a bunch of electrical stuff on my YJ:
    ARB Fridge
    ARB dual compressor
    CB
    Radio
    winch
    flood lights
    driving lights
    HID head lights
    Lots of LED lights (I know they don't draw much)
    Dual Optima Yellow Tops

I have been burning up stock remanufactured alternators lately. Assuming my wiring is good, what is a good alternator to run? Is the Mean Green worth the money?

Thanks,
    B

Needs MORE POWER http://www.hark.com/clips/nzspyskpqz-grunt
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Maybe spend the money on a mean green alternator or adapt a big 140 amp Delco, Motorcraft or Nippon Denso Alternator. You want a big 140 amp or more alternator that can sustain that charge for quite a while. Do you run a good battery isolator? Also what 50 amp fuse are you talking about? Ideally you should not have a fuse in the charge wire. Basically your fridge and the HID head lights are big draw.
      Also check with the Jeep running and all the electrical crap on if any wires and connections get hot, then fix accordingly. My personal choice would be a 135 amp rated medium truck Delco or Nippon Denso alternator. Those will put out a ton of current and don't fail under a high load

Comment

I would call I&J Alternator repair in LA. You can tell them that you want a high output alternator built for your Jeep. On my last Jeep I had a bunch of lights etc and had a better Alternator built. it cost a bit more, more it ran everything without any issue.

Comment

Brett,

I put a Powermaster 80-140amp high output alternator on my YJ when I had it. Worked great. Ran same stuff as you minus the fridge.

Mitch

Comment

A buddy of mine has the mean green alt, he lives really close to your place. Let me know if you want his number.

Comment

Duralast alternators bought at Autozone. They easily bolt on with no fitment issues.
              For a 94 w/ 4.0 : Autozone part #13387 136 amp, is a DIRECT FIT. No changes are needed. This is an option for 1998 Dodge truck/Durango w/ 5.9 V8. Price was $147.00

TECH NOTE> ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK TO SEE IF IT WILL FIT,...bring the old one with you for comparison
              Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 08-13-12, 01:28 PM.
              "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Working...
              X