Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: Transmission Cooler Help

Okay the time has come to start doing some preventative maintenance on the JK. After the "HOT OIL" light coming on 3 times I am looking for a Transmission cooler. I have seen stuff run as low as 35 bucks and seen dual fan kits for 350.00 I have enough room to mount it in-front of the radiator so I do not think I need a fan. I have a budget of 150.00

1. Any suggestions on a good quality cooler.
    2. What is the difference between Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Danny
    [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Search here for tranny cooler. There was a long thread on it, about 8 months back.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Mopar sells a bolt on cooler for 07-11 JK's. Its really clean and factory looking, but pricey ($300).

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/ has them for the cheapest price I've seen at 250. Just enter part number 82212486AB.
      We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Jake View Post
        Mopar sells a bolt on cooler for 07-11 JK's. Its really clean and factory looking, but pricey ($300).

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/ has them for the cheapest price I've seen at 250. Just enter part number 82212486AB.
        Still cheaper than a new tranny!
        BTW, this NOT the part to go the cheap route.
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]Dang it all Danny! I was going the cheap route and now you've got me thinking I need to do much more research! :grumble:[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Jake View Post

Thanks,

I dropped the Jeep off last night because the engine appears to be overheating and it looks like the front seal on the crank case blew. So I hope that is all under warranty….. Anyhow I saw the new jeeps have the transmission cooler on them and it looks a lot like this one. Pretty clean they have painted all the tubing black. That is a little more than I wanted to spend but at the same time I do not feel like replacing the tranny any time soon….
            [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

So what the hell does this do? This is already on my Jeep.

Last edited by JK08; 08-07-12, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JK08 View Post
                So what the hell does this do? This is already on my Jeep.

That's a tranny cooler, it "cools" the oil in your transmission.
                LG

Comment

Did you overfill your trans? alot of trannys dont like being overfull and will overheat if thye are. How about your tires are they oversized and you havent got around to doing a gear change yet. Those tube and fin style coolers are not very efficient compared to the stacked plate design.

Comment

Here is the one I did on mine

Link to write installation write up
                    http://www.jeepasylum.com/showthread...=tranny+cooler

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                      That's a tranny cooler, it "cools" the oil in your transmission.
                      LG
                      Ya I assumed that was what it was but why is it not working... I looked again and it looks like the tubing is there but it looks like connects to the radiator and does not have the cooler. so back to the search

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                      Did you overfill your trans? alot of trannys dont like being overfull and will overheat if thye are. How about your tires are they oversized and you havent got around to doing a gear change yet. Those tube and fin style coolers are not very efficient compared to the stacked plate design.
                      Running 35's with 4.88's

They fixed the crank case front seal under warantee but said they could not get the engine or tranny to overheat. The previous owner installed a billet grill and they said to take that off and see if the issue goes away. Said the grill is blocking at least 50% of the air flow, so i took that off when I got home from the dealer.

Originally posted by dr.dirty View Post
                      Here is the one I did on mine

Link to write installation write up
                      http://www.jeepasylum.com/showthread...=tranny+cooler

THanks i will check it out.

Comment

How do you know the cooler isn't working?
                        That cooler is on the return side of the rad. and get'n the t/oil before it hits the tranny again.
                        YES, get rid of that "billet" grill crap.
                        Airflow is LIFE to everydangthing under the hood!
                        LG

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                          How do you know the cooler isn't working?
                          That cooler is on the return side of the rad. and get'n the t/oil before it hits the tranny again.
                          YES, get rid of that "billet" grill crap.
                          Airflow is LIFE to everydangthing under the hood!
                          LG
                          I have been getting the "HOT OIL" light in 2WD or 4HI when wheeling. I only get this in the dirt never on the street.

As for the engine overheating yesterday I drove home for about 30-40 minutes in 101 degree weather and the needle did not even move. before I was starting to overheat on 90 degree dyas drive for 20 minutes.

Bad news is my driver rear shock hardware gave way and i drug my shock home for who knows how long... so i ordered som 5150's to replace the rear.

if it aint one thing it is another...
                          Last edited by JK08; 08-10-12, 12:54 PM.

Comment

The JKs are notorious for over heating Trannys. I have personally seen 2 catch fire to them puking tranny fluid out on the manifolds. Coolers are cheap and one of the first mods that need to be done to the JK.
                            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by JK08 View Post
                              I have been getting the "HOT OIL" light in 2WD or 4HI when wheeling. I only get this in the dirt never on the street.

As for the engine overheating yesterday I drove home for about 30-40 minutes in 101 degree weather and the needle did not even move. before I was starting to overheat on 90 degree dyas drive for 20 minutes.

Bad news is my driver rear shock hardware gave way and i drug my shock home for who knows how long... so i ordered som 5150's to replace the rear.

if it aint one thing it is another...
                              Has that light come back on since you removed the "billet" grill crap?
                              LG

Comment

Working...
                              X