Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One up on "Nicks POS", sorry Nick

Hi, My name is Glenn, and i am a jeepaholic.
    seriously people, i have a problem. And the orb of this addiction is a 93' YJ. This damn thing tries to kill me one dollar at a time. And i do believe my wife thinks i love it more than her, she may be on to something... Anyway, it all started with a $2,500 purchase from a friend, for a 93' YJ with 160K and a 4.0 that would not pass smog... but damn did the rockford fosgate system rock some tunes. So... with this jeep, which i had driven before, bought and paid for while i was on a deployment to Afghan, i began to research... I began to think a 4.7 stroker was a great idea, still do, but i digress. I purchased a kit form titian engines, and then upon my return to the U.S. began the tear down. I then found a, what i thought to be reputable mechanic at Full Race Supply in Yucca Valley, please i implore you, never do business here. After paying $2,900 for the kit, i then paid this business $2,300 to machine and build my new 4.7 stroker... it ran for one hour before the knock began... now i have a $5,200 paper weight.

Must sign off for tonight, but more to follow tomorrow, believe me you will wanna read this, it will make you laugh... or cry, i sure do!

[COLOR="darkred"]Ohhhh man... I did business with Full Race once... ONCE. I'm not sure how long you've been in the Stumps but I was stationed there off and on for about 14 years, and then after retirement I did another 2 or 3 years as a contractor teaching Counter IED. If you want some places to contact for different things, let me know.

By the way... My POS is more POS than your POS.... [/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I have been here for 7 years, i know a few people and places, wish i would have asked around before using Full Race, but you can never have to many friends so i will let you know if i need anything spacific.

And I do believe you are mistaken sir, my POS story has just begun. there is much much more.

Comment

[COLOR="darkred"]I have not met your POS, so I am trying to keep an open mind. However I must inform you... my POS's reputation is legendary. I believe it is safe to say, we probably shouldn't go out on a run together without a contingency plan.

I'm not sure if you know the guys out at ACE Alternator in YV? The owner is a big Johnson Valley fan and built his own buggy. He knows a few of the local shops that are good to take your rig. I think his name is Matt, but I haven't been in there for a long time.

Can't wait for updates. [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Part 2 of me winning the POS war!

Now that i had a paper wieght that cost more than double what i paid for the jeep, i was lost, and broke because when i decided to build a bad ass stroker i thought, why not upgrade everything under the hood? From e-fan, brown dog motor mounts, to banks header and exhaust, even a center force stage2 cluch, along with a few other goodies. I dropped every last dime into TRYING to do it the right way, the FIRST time. BTW i recomend investing in a HESCO hi flow water pump, and thermostat housing... Awsome. Any way, so after 6 months of saving and looking into small claims court to try to recoup some of my lost cash. I purchased a reman 4.0 form a company in washington who offers a 7yr 100k warranty, all for $1,600. Three weeks later and alot of broken/lost bolts, and a stripped out crank thread, not fun, i was able to hear my beautiful beast roar.

Well back to work, much more to follow later
          Glenn

Comment

"I believe it is safe to say, we probably shouldn't go out on a run together without a contingency plan."

nick

Yeah i have a buddy who owns a tow truck and i dont go out wheeling without him knowing were i will be cuz he has had to come get me more than once. i have figured out one thing in my life... Murphy HATES ME!!

Comment

Yep, you are feeding the Jeep Gods very well. They should be fat and happy... If your YJ is as bad as Nicks, sell it and buy a Prius... It will go farther and is much prettier! HA!
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I will keep that in mind Kurt!

Comment

Suck it up Marine...

my old 1st Sgt had this above his desk... I loved it and laughed at it almost every morning for 6 months...
                  Good to see ya on the site...

Brett
                  Last edited by vwtipeii; 07-23-12, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Part 3

So i fire up my band new 4.0 and giggle like a school girl, naively thinking that my baby would run like a champ with no further issues... HA! Yeah, right! No sooner do i finish the 20 min of break in and pull her ( Sarah is her name) out of the shop, and " the noise" began. The noise is a metallic clank with a jerk. It mainly happens in 4LO going up a hill, or reverse with the wheels turned however it does happen if i let out the clutch to quickly at a stop sign, but the problem mostly arises while the wheels are turned. While investigating this noise i also find out that ALL of my u joints r bad as well as both upper ball joints, and all tie rod ends... But the fun doest end there! I ordered the tie rods got it in the shop and went to work. After replacing the tie rods i had some extra time on my hands but couldnt get to the u joints or ball joints because the local napa didnt have them in stock, so i decided to crack the diffs... And WOW, Murphy strikes again! The front diff was first and the substance i found inside in no way shape or form resembled gear oil, it might as well have been stuffed with mud. After alot of cleaning i inspected the gears, which to my surprise looked really good. Than i saw the cause of the mud in the diff, apparently a previous owner of my baby had drilled the diff for a locker but didnt install it or plug the whole. And then i opend the rear diff, my day just doesnt get any better. Although it was oil and not mud, it looked as if i was panning for silver, lets just say my pinion has seen better days.
                    Thanks for reading, MUCH more to follow.
                    Happy and safe wheeln
                    glenn

Comment

Thanks Brett...

Comment

i have a Dana 35 R&P set... free.... 4.10' only missing 1 tooth

Seriously though.. I have a set in great condition.

or... you can buy my whole rear 8.8 w ARB and 4.88 w new disc breaks and Riddle cover... and I can buy a new d60 or 14 bolt

Comment

Sounds Awsome... but what is the price tag? Wifey has me on a short leash after all this.

Comment

THIS CRAP IS GETTING OLD!!! After i finish my 3 day long project of replacing every u joint. ball joint, tie rod end. axle seal (pain in the a$$ BTW), and flushing t case, tranny and diffs AGIAN because they were so bad the first time, keep in mind i just got this thing, so the lack of maintenance is not my doing! Drive it out of my shop, get less than a mile down the road and hear a metallic object hit the bottom of my jeep, so i pull over to inspect it and the cap to my new u joint on the slip yoke side of the rear driveline and the cause is the cracked yoke causing the clip to fall off. I just can not win.

Comment

Persevere--you're making progress.

Got a million of those little gems of wisdom. That one was from a fortune cookie, IIRC. :homer:
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X