Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Bags

I drive an 04' Rubicon......I was asked today if I wheel with the Air Bags on?????. I said yes. Can anyone give me heads up on wheeling with "AirBags" After I was asked this question I thought about the Air Bag in my steering wheel - That Air Bag is right in my face!!!!! Any advice on this would be appreciated.

You can always pull the 2 fuses for the airbags behind the glove box

Comment

Tons of people wheel with their air bags still functional. I haven't heard of anybody having them inadvertently go off. They're specifically designed to only go off for a certain type of impact. I think it's 15-20mph worth of direct head-on force.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened (I haven't looked), but I can't recall a post on MJR in the last 5 or 6 years of anybody worrying about this, and that's a lot of Jeep miles.

As Art said though, you can always pull the fuses!
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I have hit my front bumper very hard, on a couple occasions. No prob with the air bags. Like Mater said, I, too, have never heard of an air bag deploying, on the trail. The chance of your go'n off on a run is slim. I wouldn't worry about it.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

The airbags in my TJ went off spontaneously during my first test drive after installing a new tranny and t-case. The tranny/ t-case wiring wasn't all hooked up, so something to do with that probably triggered it. I was just driving down a local dirt road listening to the drivetrain when BLAM! It was not pleasant.

Had two good rolls and one rather forceful episode of Jeep crashing backwards into a large tree (me not in it) and the airbags never went off. Hey, can I drive your Jeep?
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Late model air bags aren't as easy to detonate or as buggy as some of the earlier ones. If you under stood what it take's to make them pop, then having inverted mention his going off while driving is actually very odd and scary (assuming it's his 2000 tj) Mid 80's- mid 90's the auto manufactures were still debugging them and it seemed were going through a huge learning curve.

I run with my fuse pulled. The air bag sensor(s) have to detect a shock wave traveling at a certain speed, in a certain direction, the computer supplies power and ground to the airbag. I have a custom heavy bumper on mine which theoretically should make it more sensitive (stock one absorbed impact better). I don't want to pop $2000 worth of air bag because I bumped some stupid Honda.
            Come to the dark side.....
            We have Cookies!

Comment

I drive an 04' Rubicon......I was asked today if I wheel with the Air Bags on?????. I said yes. Can anyone give me heads up on wheeling with "AirBags" After I was asked this question I thought about the Air Bag in my steering wheel - That Air Bag is right in my face!!!!! Any advice on this would be appreciated.
              If your air bags go off on your Jeep, you really needed them.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                If your air bags go off on your Jeep, you really needed them.
                Yeah, that's why I said Thanks, I needed that!
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Thanks for all the info......looks like I can leave as it is......for the guy driving along and the Air Bags just go off...Holly Sh__t how did u feel after that?

Comment

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
                    Thanks for all the info......looks like I can leave as it is......for the guy driving along and the Air Bags just go off...Holly Sh__t how did u feel after that?
                    A bit startled! Took me a sec to figure out what had just exploded in my face. The first thing I thought (besides WTF!?) was I'm glad no one is in the Jeep with me and I'm not driving in traffic. My ears were ringing for awhile. That explosion kinda rung my bell a bit. My chin was kinda bruised and skinned; it and my nose were tender for a few days. No biggie, and I probably deserve more than a few more, but I could see how those things could really hurt someone. Give me a roll cage any day.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                    X