Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Pitman Arm on TJ's

Anyone using one to correct steering componet angles? I've heard TJ's don't need them but I like to get some advice from the members here. Also heard the tie rod and diff. tubes should be parallel for the most part. Thanks in advance.

I have a 4.5" lift and seem to get a slight wobble from the driver side wheel when hitting some bumps in the road. My adjustable upper control arms are at the shortest adjustment which seems better then when they were about an inch out. Shaft angle is good and no vibes.

B&T TJ

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
    Anyone using one to correct steering componet angles? I've heard TJ's don't need them but I like to get some advice from the members here. Also heard the tie rod and diff. tubes should be parallel for the most part. Thanks in advance.

I have a 4.5" lift and seem to get a slight wobble from the driver side wheel when hitting some bumps in the road. My adjustable upper control arms are at the shortest adjustment which seems better then when they were about an inch out. Shaft angle is good and no vibes.

B&T TJ
    Actually the Track bar and the drag link should be parallel to eachother. If they are not, it would cause bumpsteer. Does it just wobble, or does it want to steer in the direction of the bump?
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Hey Chris,
      It's a wobble. The steering re-centers fine and no pulling. What concerns me is angle (since the lift) where the draglink & tie rod connect.
      I've check all the bolts... & they're tight. I'll check the draglink & track bar for parallel alignment to each other tonight. I was poking around another site too, some of the folks there were saying you shouldn't need this until 5-6" of lift. I've also heard the Rubicon Express springs may give more lift then advertised, I have the RE 4.5" springs.
      I remember the last time I saw you (El Mirage) we spoke about the Curry system and how they put an angle or something like that at the pitman arm to relieve stress.

Should I email you a photo?

Thanks for the help, Tom aka B&T TJ

Comment

I'm running almost 5" and still run the stock pitman arm. On a tJ when you lift the front the trackbar and drag lionk will move almost parallel to each other. Angles stay the same. When you start going over 6-7 is when you need a DPA.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Hey Al,
          It's Tom Long, (sold you some shocks) thanks for the info. I been poking around and found many with the same advice. I'm gonna check this out. I'm not using the stock Trackbar (RE Adj. TB), could that make a difference? Anyway before I start buying parts I don't need I'm going to look at the cheaper things, tire ballancing(it's due), caster angle (which I can adjust) set-up stuff. I am seriously concidering the Curry Steering System but not for awhile until I get back to work, maybe in the fall. Till then thanks for the help.

BTW did you do something special with your tie rod? Looking at your pictures your tie rod seems to have less of an angle where it connects to the draglink then mine does and closer to being parallel to the diff. tubes.

Comment

I'm also running RE adjustable track bar. No problems. Make sure everything is tight,

Comment

I've taken some pictures, now I'm trying to figure out how to place them in my message. It would give me great piece of mind to have you guys look at them and say everything looks fine.
              As it looks to me the trackbar and draglink are not quite parallel. Everything is tight, trackbar at the frame is at 150lbs the rest at factory spec's unless noted by Rubicon Express.

As always thanks for the help, B&T TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Black & Tan TJ
                I've taken some pictures, now I'm trying to figure out how to place them in my message.
                type [img] your web address here [/img]
                :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Here are some pictures of my steering set-up. My concerns are the angle where the tie rod and drag link connect plus the draglink not being quite parallel to the trackbar. It is a RE trackbar that I've painted black, in fact all the lift componets were painted black except for the springs & shocks. I'm going for the "Sleeper" look here.
                  Thanks for everyones help, B&T TJ

photobucket.com is pretty cool

Comment

The initial angle of the track bar is parallel. I think it is ok.

Comment

Riggght...That OX is sleepy looking! If you draw a line between the bolts on that trackbar, you are close to parallel with the drag link. I am also running an RE 4.5 lift and it came with a dropped pitman. I put it on and took it off within a week. There was no drastic change either way. However the geometry is closer to parallel withe the stock pitman.

Comment

Thanks guys,
                        Big help being able to post pictures(says 1000 words). Looking at the bolt thing I will agree, they'er parallel. Could be the stock stablizer going bad, this is a 2002 w/approx. 20,000 miles.
                        As far as the "sleepy OX" it get used as much as I can. In fact if Brian is who I think he is we ran the Lockwood / Miller trails together Nov. 03. You (if it's who I think) have a white 98 or 99 Sahara and your 14 & 15 year old sons were in their own Jeep. I believe one call's himself "Sully" here? Good boys whom ever they are. I was with my 2 daughters, they're into it too.

B&T TJ

Comment

Tom, you need to make the Rubicon run with us.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn
                            Tom, you need to make the Rubicon run with us.
                            Thanks for the invite, very tempting but I don't think my Jeep is quite ready or may not qualify. Still riding on 31" BFG A/T's 3.73's and a 30" spare. I'm ready but after reading through the thread I come to the conclusion that I'd probably be a burdan to others (not being prepared) than an asset which makes me a little uncomfortable. There's still next year though. My future mod. plans are 33" & spare, bumpers, at least a rear to hold that spare and 4.56's. And bucks for all that too.
                            Thanks for the vote of confidence, still like to meet up w/y'all on some of the other runs. Until then here's a little pic of the kids and I last summer at a Jamboree in New Mexico. This is the highest point you can drive in that state, 11,249' and there were still trees. Nobody was sure where tree line was but it was very cool being up there, a natural high let's say.

See you soon! B&T TJ

Comment

super cute pic, B&T
                              :yay:
                              :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Working...
                              X