Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Is my "baby" gonna live???

I was involved in a head on collusion 6/11... I'm OK (mostly, just bumps & bruises & soreness - other driver is OK too). My jeep was not drivable after the crash.... I've had her ever since she was born and I expected to keep her forever. So if someone(s) would care to go to my photo album and take a gander at her and tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it. The insurance agents have not been out yet.
    She's a 2000 Sahara.....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1294698&type=3

And because inquiring minds will want to know... it is the other driver's fault. He drifted out of his lane and didn't correct even though I blew my horn. All I could do was brace for impact.
    Some girls like it rough!

Originally posted by cat View Post
    I was involved in a head on collusion 6/11... I'm OK (mostly, just bumps & bruises & soreness - other driver is OK too). My jeep was not drivable after the crash.... I've had her ever since she was born and I expected to keep her forever. So if someone(s) would care to go to my photo album and take a gander at her and tell me what you think, I'd appreciate it. The insurance agents have not been out yet.
    She's a 2000 Sahara.....

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1294698&type=3

And because inquiring minds will want to know... it is the other driver's fault. He drifted out of his lane and didn't correct even though I blew my horn. All I could do was brace for impact.
    If the frame isn't bend it's definitely repairable.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      If the frame isn't bend it's definitely repairable.
      I would agree. The key is the frame though. It's hard to tell from the pics what was done to the frame. The rest are all replaceable (and upgradeable) parts.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

I'm not a mechanic, but the frame does not appear to be damaged. Thanks for helping me to feel better!
        Any ball park ideas of the cost? She's a 2000 (KBB estimate $5 - $7 K). I'm just wondering if the Ins. Co. will cash her out or fix her.

Comment

If the insurance company wants to cash it out, see if you can buy it back. You might get paid out and be able to buy it for $1k to either fix back up or sell for the good parts. I think when they do this the title issues is salvage though so if you were to sell it after fixing it up, the value is diminished.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Couple of questions, but will base my answer here on the possible outcome. How fast were you going is the main question. the second is do you have an add-ons that may make the KBB price increase.
            if you were going less than 10 or the other driver was (whomever was at fault) then frame damage is less likely. Based on the photo's I would take a shot at no frame damage. Seeing that the steering linkage is busted up and some other miscellaneous parts in the suspension, the cost to fix with paint, new and some used body parts you would be looking at anywhere between 3500-5000 worth of damage.
            Given Cat's KBB prices of 5-7k you are in the grey area on whether or not the insurance company will total it out or not.
            So here is some advice...if the insurance company comes to your house and gives you an estimate, you do not have to work off of that. search for some body shops in your area that are reputable and maybe they can find used parts that will lower the cost of the overall repair. that can sometimes save you about 2k which could keep your Sahara from being a total loss.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by HB Jeeper View Post
              Couple of questions, but will base my answer here on the possible outcome. How fast were you going is the main question.
              [COLOR="red"]I was at a full stop, waiting to turn.[/COLOR]

the second is do you have an add-ons that may make the KBB price increase.
              [COLOR="red"]No, she is stock[/COLOR]

if you were going less than 10 or the other driver was (whomever was at fault)
              [COLOR="red"]Other driver is definitely at fault[/COLOR]

then frame damage is less likely. Based on the photo's I would take a shot at no frame damage. Seeing that the steering linkage is busted up and some other miscellaneous parts in the suspension, the cost to fix with paint, new and some used body parts you would be looking at anywhere between 3500-5000 worth of damage.

Hope this helps.
              [COLOR="red"]Yes, HB!! You have been very helpful. My ins co is sending her to http://www.jimandjacks.com/index.html. I WiSH they would use Jeep Doctor!!! But I don't have a choice. So even if they "total" her, it looks like I can afford to fix her back up. I am so releived because I have had the best times in her!![/COLOR]

Comment

Depending on how the insurance deals with this, if you get the option to get a check and choose a repair shop, you might want to consider upgraded aftermarket parts. Compared to MOPAR prices, you should come out pretty close to the same and have a better part in the long run. Curry makes a great HD steering kit. Just a thought...

[/COLOR]

Comment

Thank you Mike. They picked her up about an hour ago and the tow truck driver seems to think the repairs will come in under $5K. Now I just have to wait for The Official Word.

Comment

1st thing, GLAD YOUR OK.
                    Been there. Exact same thing happened to me. Try to get a check from the insurance company and start upgrading. assuming the frame is not damaged get a new front axle assembly, some nice flat fenders, a new bumper...check to see that your axle didnt missle your driveshaft into your transfer case. Thats what happened to me.(can you say Atlas 4.3?) You'll be surprised at how much they will cut a check to you for. Sometimes I wish my tj could get smacked in the front like that again. 1st time i wasnt to savy and just had a shop fix it for several thousand dollars. If I did it again, I'd be getting some nice aftermarket stuff. it's keep-able. as long as the frame is straight.

A 5,000 check can go far. Get some flat fenders for around 500.00 a bumper for a few hundred, a Currie steering set up for about 400.00, antirock for 350 or so, some new rims and tires and your set! Oh and you'll have about 3500 left for a nice front end or better whatever-you-want accessories.
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Na that thing is in great shape. This here is one example of why you buy your used Jeep from a Gal, I bet that thing has never even seen the dirt. I have heard 80% of jeeps owned by women do not ever see the dirt. If it is totaled for sure buy it back.

my 2 pennies

Danny
                      [COLOR="red"]Are you seeing planes? Is your name Tattoo? Because I swear to God, you're living on Fantasy Island[/COLOR]

Comment

Cat's Jeep has certainly seen some trails. I'm pretty sure that she was the person that created the biggest MJR run over Cleghorn to-date: 35 Jeeps! It's been a while, but it was fun!

[/COLOR]

Comment

....and another thing about girls is we have the most famous punch named after us, The Bitch Slap! LOL!!
                          Mike is right, I started that Cleghorn. I have also done a few trails by myself in Big Bear and 10 Jeep Jamborees. My BEST vacation was 3 weeks all by myself driving/wandering around Utah and Arizona camping and off roading. Hence, my tag line, "Some girls like it rough" (I really need to take the design out of my head and make tee shirts!)

And I am so grateful for the responses here, they have mitigated my fears. I will certainly buy her back if they total her out. I hope one day to have the "oldest" model Sahara on a run!! But this waiting game stinks! At least she was picked up and taken to the repair shop yesterday. I expect to hear from them today.

Comment

I think I might have the oldest TJ. Bought it early summer of 96 and she's still running strong.
                            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Oh Broken, I *know* I have DECADES to wait before I'll have the oldest TJ. LOL!! It is just hard waiting to get those "looks" that Willys get!!

Comment

Working...
                              X