Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK: AT's with Kevlar

I thought I would try a new all terrain tire for the JK. I needed something strong but smooth riding.

I've always thought the Goodyear Silent armor would be a good choice, and decided to try a set.

The SA are rated as a mud and snow tire by Goodyear, but also have a layer of Kevlar and their "DuraWall" sidewall that is to resist cuts from rocks etc. They also have the "rim protector" feature to keep rocks from damaging the edge of the rim.

I went with the Pro Comp 1089 wheels which are a strong off road aluminum wheel. I also have a set from the 2007 JK with MTR's mounted and they have held up great under extreme conditions.

So far on the highway the SA's are very quiet and even more so they are very smooth riding. They make the JK handle better than the previous AT's I had, (Dekota AT's). No mystery there.

I haven't had them off road yet, but I'm sure they will perform well for the general use I will be using them for.

The price at America's tire for the GY SA's was $183.00 each plus M&B. P265/75/16
    The Pro Comp 1089's from Quadratech were $115.00 ea. plus $50.00 shipping.

I went with the P metric version for the smoother highway ride. I also went with the 16" wheel to allow for more sidewall hight. The previous 17" wheels didn't have the sidewall softness that the 15" or 16" provide.

Another good point for highway use is that the stock tires with the aluminum wheels weighed 65#'s mounted and balanced the new SA's with the new wheels weigh in at 70#s each.

They have substantial rim protector sidewalls.

Pretty aggressive tread for a quiet and smooth ride.

Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-09-12, 12:06 PM.

They are a good looking tire. The tread looks fairly aggressive for a AT/MT/ST. They look a little small on your Jk though... Are they quiet on the highway?

Comment

Explain ....."P" Version for smoother Highway Ride? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some new ties, something I need to know?

Comment

Originally posted by RonR. View Post
        Explain ....."P" Version for smoother Highway Ride? I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some new ties, something I need to know?
        Most SUV tires come in a couple of versions. "P" is for passenger type vehicles - Suburbans etc. "LT" light truck tires come in a "C" load rating and also an "E" load rating. The higher the letter the higher the load rating. I've uses the "E" rated on the Jeep, which are for hauling heavy loads, and they rode very stiff on the Wrangler, with a lot of bouncing on the highway. The "P" version seems to be a smoother ride.

If you do mostly serious off roading maybe a "C" or "E" may be better, I don't know. The MTR tires are rated "C". The cheepo Dekota's were a "P" rated and those were on every rough road in So Cal. They held up surprisingly well. I bought those because the were VERY inexpensive and they held up much better than I thought they would.

As the load rating goes up, the price goes up also. I think all in all the "C" load rating is a good choice, but I'm a cheap skate and go through tires pretty fast. lol
        Last edited by mkjeepers; 06-09-12, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
          They are a good looking tire. The tread looks fairly aggressive for a AT/MT/ST. They look a little small on your Jk though... Are they quiet on the highway?
          On the highway they have been working excellent. On the mountain they've been supurbe. It looks like Good Year trues up their tires - you can see they have been sanded or ?? how ever they do it - on the tread. They roll very smooth.

Comment

Working...
          X