Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nearly Bolt-in Ram Assist for Currie Steering

So after breaking 2 steering boxes, in a relatively short amount of time, my friend John dropped off his jeep with me and said fix it . . . cost be dammed! Well not really.

Blaine from blackmagicbrakes.com has made quite a nice, practically bolt-in kit, for the Currie HD steering. Goto: Black Magic Brakes.com for the bolt in kit, then call Lance at PSC and ask for the following part numbers:

SG061R-N ~ Steering box ported for ram assist
    SC2206K ~ 1.5" bore x 6" stroke ram
    SR146-8-12 ~ Gen IV 8.25" Reservoir w/ -8 return & -12 Feed
    SP1800-33332 ~ TJ CBR P/S pump & pulley, drilled -6 and -12

Plus a handful of fittings and hose. If you tell Lance your doing the Savvy Ram set up, he should know how to set you up properly.

I kinda did a step by step to show how I went about making this happen on John's 97. Your mileage may vary, but installation should pretty much be the same on most TJ's. Installation should only take about a weekend.

Step one: Jack stand the rig at ride height on the frame. Remove tires and old parts. Figure out a way to get the springs out of there with out hurting your silly self. Just do it, you'll need to cycle the suspension to make sure nothing runs into anything else, so do it. Put the axle on stands at ride height and point the wheel straight.

Step two: Look at the pile of mess you have on the floor and decide where you want to start. I would suggest taking the front bumper/winch/steering box skid off to allow for easier access to stuff. Plus you're less likely to hit your head on it when its over in the corner.

Step three: I started by installing the cooler. Remove the fan shroud bolts and all the radiator bolts, except the bottom 2 . . . just loosen those up a fair bit. We just need to push the radiator and condenser back to allow the cooler to squeeze in there. Also remove the 2 bolts holding the A/C condenser in place.

I jammed a block of wood in there because I only have 2 hands.

Step four: Remove driver side headlight and bucket. If you cant figure this part out . . .

Step five: Get the cooler mount, cooler and hardware ready. Install the mount, it'll rest on the "V" bar. Cram the cooler through the driver headlight hole being sure to drag it across the condenser with the sharp, pokey bits. With the cooler in place, slip the flat holdy-in-place things where they go, insert the stud plate through the back and nut it up. It's really easyish.

Boom

Step six: I don't remember what I did next, so here are some pictures.

Oh, install steering box

Axle brackets. Pretty self explanatory. Assemble it all loose otherwise it doesn't fit very well. Don't tighten til you're damn near done.

Step seven +/-: Install the ram. With the ram fully extended, mark 3 inches, with a sharpie, from the body on the shaft. Shorten the ram to this mark. Place the ram where the stock damper was and install the draglink mount. Remember the steering should be pointed straight.

Run the steering to the stops, pulling the large rod end bolt out at each stop to make sure ram is centered. Keep and eye on the steering stops and adjust if required.

Step eight: Mount pump. Again, pretty straight forward. The only difference is that one of the holes on the new pump is drilled and tapped instead of being a through bolt. Not a big deal, just reuse the stock 2 bolts and procure a short bolt with the correct thread for the other.

Step nine: Mount the reservoir. This is a little tricky. I had a little more fun because the 97's had a goofy, round EVAP canister in the way. I relocated that, along with a bunch of BS OBA stuff and was able to mount the reservoir to the top of the inner fender. Remember the hood still has to close, so don't eff it up.

Maybe pics later.

Step ten: Plumb pump and reservoir. Not horribly difficult, just make sure you mark them correctly. Also this hose seems to shrink when you assemble it all. So give your self an extra 1/2" past your mark.

Tired now. More tomorrow, with any luck.

-Chris
    Last edited by JeepGal; 06-05-12, 10:20 PM.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Nice write up Chris.
    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
      Nice write up Chris.
      Yup.....this is a keeper of a how-to article.
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
        Yup.....this is a keeper of a how-to article.
        X3!!! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks.

I'm a little further than the pics show, it's just too hard to remember to take pics right in the middle of working.

Step 11: Drill the one required 3/8" hole in the track bar mount and assemble supplied bolt, spacer and nut.

Optional Step 12: Drill 2 3/8" holes in the track bar reinforcing bracket. This is not required, but pretty much will eliminate any movement if some thing else were to get loose.

Step 12: Now tighten all that mess. With that done, I cycled the suspension a couple times, turning the wheel lock to lock, ensuring nothing runs into stuff it shouldn't be running into.

Step 13: Plumb the cooler. I think I did this the hard way. The passenger side got a 90 and the driver side got a straight fitting. Ugh, I'm out of pictures . . . hang on.

Ok, I'm back.

I ran the line from the box to the passenger side fitting and the driver side went straight through a hole behind the headlight to the reservoir.

Step up: High Pressure! Plumb the ram and pressure line from the pump. For the ram, make sure you find the point where the lines need to be longest and add a couple inches to those suckers aren't pulled taught. The rear port on the box turns is for turning right, forward port is for left. I have yet to do it, but the lines will be zip tied together with a bazillion zip ties . . . I bought it bulk.

For the pump I used a 90 degree fitting and ran it towards the firewall to make a nice large loop forward to the straight fitting coming off the steering box. I don't have any pictures so you'll have to trust me.

Step ~ : Make sure everything is tight. BTW, -6 fittings use a 11/16" wrench, -8 uses 7/8", and -12 uses 1-1/4. The reusable fittings are put together with a 7/8 and 5/8.

Step 20: Once everything is tight start filling the reservoir with fluid. DO NOT USE ATF. High quality power steering fluid only. AC Delco fluid seems to work the best. Fill about 1/2 way up and start turning the steering wheel lock to lock, with the engine off. I spun the P/S pump by hand a couple times, but I'm not sure that is required. Keep going back and forth, filling the reservoir as needed. Have a helper watch the fluid level, or listen for bubbles and air sucking type noises (like Kurt snoring).

The system should take about 3 quarts of fluid. After cycling the steering a bunch of times, fire that sucker up . . . hopefully you put the belt back on, dummy. Run the steering lock to lock some more, keeping an eye on the fluid level and watching for bubbles. If the pump starts to howl, turn the Jeep off. That's an expensive pump for you to eff up right off the bat . . . add fluid and cycle steering more.

Anyway, get all the damn air out is what I'm saying.

So that's where I'm currently stopped. I shall return tomorrow.

-Chris
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Nice job PIG.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Oh, and Chris, nice write up. I want to see how it all works after install. Wheres the test drive at? John Bull?
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I certainly don't mind fabricating stuff or saving money. In this instance the customer broke 2 steering boxes in a relatively short amount of time. 1st time the sector shaft broke and the second it blew the ears off the box. In my opinion the stock box has its place, but seeing how he already had problems with a stock box we elected to use quality PSC parts. Don't forget the PSC box is a new, big bore unit, not a reman. The ram is a custom length to work properly with the Currie steering. The pump is a modified CBR with a -12 feed and puts out 1800 PSI.

Meh. Anyway . . I'm sure you could do it cheaper, just not sure if you can do it at a higher quality. And when I want to get there and back with out issue, I'll pick quality over price everytime.

Chris
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13
                  Any chance of getting this back to a "How to" thread as is was originally intended?
                  Thank you. I'm very interested in this kit and how it turns out.

I'd like to ask the moderators to delete some post and get this thread back to what it was intended for, Robert needs to start his own. Many of us do prefer quality over cost. Please remove the mud and get back "on topic"

Comment

Chris, this is a gorgeous writeup! I'd love to post it in the features section.
                    :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

It's been a couple weeks since this system has been installed on John's Jeep. He took a trip to central California and said the system preformed beautifully. His remarks were the Jeep felt better than stock. On the road the system is almost invisible. Off road you KNOW it's there because you can still steer the Jeep when its all bound up . . . and that's what its all about.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

-Chris
                      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Great Writeup and very nice install! Can you get the kit without the cooler? I allready have one.
                        (Why didn't I buy a buggy) LOL
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                          Great Writeup and very nice install! Can you get the kit without the cooler? I allready have one.
                          (Why didn't I buy a buggy) LOL
                          Hey Curtis,
                          I do believe you can get the kit sans cooler
                          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Chris... Can you give a ballpark estimate of what the cost is for this setup?
                            Regards,
                            Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Randy a CJ is a bit narrower makes it even more fun to stuff one of those in there.
                              Friend of mine did though, looked nice, but he sure had a fight getting it all in there

Comment

Working...
                              X