Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the new Rubicons come with lockers?

I was wondering if the new Rubicons come with lockers in the front and rear or just the rear? And if I had lockers in the rear only and unlimited slip in the front would be just as good?

They have lockers front and rear. A limited slip is better than an open diff but locker is definatly better. I think some of the JK's come with traction control system that will apply the brakes on the wheel that is spinning the most putting more power to the one with more traction which seem like it would work pretty good. Probably work awesome with a detriot truetrac.

Comment

Im looking into a 98 tj for sale that has lockers in the rear and the limited slip in the front. The jeep seems to have a lot of extra's so I'm wondering why it dosen't have lockers in the front. I belive it has the dana 44 rear and dana 30 on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeper Creeper View Post
        Im looking into a 98 tj for sale that has lockers in the rear and the limited slip in the front. The jeep seems to have a lot of extra's so I'm wondering why it dosen't have lockers in the front. I belive it has the dana 44 rear and dana 30 on the front.
        Limited slip has it's applications. Rock crawling is NOT one of them. The good news is replacing the carrier with a locker is usually easy if you know how to do it yourself. If not, you are in for at least $350+ in addition to the cost of the locker.

The D30 is tougher than many folks give it credit. They are good up to 35 inch tires, after that it can be risky. But at 35's, you should consider upgrading to chromoly axles.

TJ's are one of the best Jeeps made IMO. It is a great platform with LOTS of aftermarket upgrades. After all, it's just money, right? Make sure that you get a 6 cylinder. The 4's are good, but the 6's are better.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

This is the extra's... not sure what a jeep like this should be worth?

98 jeep wrangler
          6 cyl. 4.0 engine
          Auto transmission
          Genright highline front fenders with 4" flare
          Genright boat side sliders with side step/ tube
          Genright rear highline 4" flares
          Genright rear full crusher corner body armor
          Genright rear boulder series bumper and tire carrier
          Custom front stinger bumper to match
          8000lb winch
          Teraflex suspension
          lexan race type hood
          Complete custom roll cage.( real roll cage not a bolt on)
          35 inch Toyo mud terrain tires
          On board air compressor / viar reservoir tank mounted under hood
          Late model Dana 44 in rear with disk brakes
          Dana 30 up front
          Chromoly shafts
          48 gears
          ARB locked
          HD slip yoke eliminator
          Custom drivelines
          Belly up skid pan with tummy tuck kit
          Cold air intake
          Performance throttle body spacer
          Optima red top battery
          Pioneer stereo/ cd player with front iPod connect and remote
          Full doors
          Soft top
          Bikini top
          First aid kit
          ARB emergency tire repair kit
          Fire extinguisher
          Riddler custom differential covers

Comment

How much? sounds like its very well equiped. Might want to drive it on the freeway if you plan on driving on the street. The tranny is only a 3 speed and with 4.88 gears it seems like you will be pushing the rpms really high while doin 65 mph.

Comment

Orignally he wanted 12,500 but will take $9500?

Comment

That sounds like a pretty nice Jeep with some quality parts. It should wheel quite well, with its current set up. Especially if it has a long arm kit. I agree with the freeway test. That should tell you if it has any front end wobble as well.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

The reality is that the Jeep is truly only worth the Kelly Blue Book value ($6700). But given the amount stuff that the previous owner put into it, I'd consider the offer seriously. I have a 99 TJ and with a total pay out considered, I have 15K sunk and still don't have what I would really like to have.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy built and then add to it. But! you still need a reliable rig. The freeway test and a prolonged scrutiny of the frame and undercarriage is advisable.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    If I had it to do over again, I'd buy built and then add to it.
                    I'm proof you *can* do that! :devil:
                    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I bought it. Took it out for a test run at 70 mph for a few miles. No wobbles or shake's... ran good and handled good. The only thing was that the speed odometer said I was was going 90 mph - so it's off because of the oversize tires. The only thing I've noticed so far is when I turn on the locker switch I don't hear a compressor kick on ? Shouldn't I hear it? Other then that I'm a happy TJ owner

Comment

Sounds like you got a good deal! The speedos off because of your 4.88 gears, I think you can probably fix that with a speedo pick up gear swap. What kinda rpm was it turning going 65mph? Had to be pretty high above 3000rpm atleast.
                        Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-17-12, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Yes you should hear the compressor kick on. Take it to a parking lot, turn on the locker and do a tight circle. If the rear tires howl and chirp, and the jeep is jerky, then the locker is on. If its smooth, like normal. The locker is not on. Then look into why the compressor is not coming on.

Congrats on the jeep
                          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Runs 3000 rpm at 60 mph.

Comment

Congrats! A speedo gear is about $25 and 15 minutes to change out. Definitely should hear the ARB pressurize and then stop. Check the wires. See if you have a broken or disconnected wire. Might be an easy fix.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X