Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekends upgrades for the TJ

Installing my new steering setup. Next week I will be ordering some King Coilovers for the front of my Jeep.

RallyeX

Great up grade. Hope to be able to do it soon.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Should be great. Once I get the hi steer on in the future I can add ram assist. Also can't wait to get the coilovers on in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Where did you order the steering from? I didn't see the piston?

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
          Where did you order the steering from? I didn't see the piston?
          Do not understand ! What piston ?

Comment

I Think he means the hydralic ram assist. Doesn't look like he went that route Bret. But the box looks plumbed for when he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              I Think he means the hydralic ram assist. Doesn't look like he went that route Bret. But the box looks plumbed for when he does.
              I will be adding ram assist when I get around to fabbing up the hi steer setup.

Comment

I read somwhere mrblaine came up with a nice hydralic assist setup for use with the Currie steering. Havent seen it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                  I read somwhere mrblaine came up with a nice hydralic assist setup for use with the Currie steering. Havent seen it though.
                  I don't care for the currie steering. I don't like that it cost around 300 to replace the ends.

Comment

Really? I only paid $300 for the new currie draglink and run a V8 grand cherokee fliped otk solid steel tierod that I got a junk yard for $20. The ends are heavier duty then stock and can be had at any auto parts store for fairly cheap. Didnt know the currie ends were that expensive but really dont think they would fail anyway they are so beefy. I love my currie setup, the previouse crossover steering I had was a joke. Hit everything, bent easy, Had awful dead spot in the steering.

Comment

Nothing wrong with building a good hi steer setup, just not that easy with stock Rubicon front axle. to do that right you look at knuckles, frame notch hi steer arms and what not, but once it's done right it makes for a nice steering setup that is fairly safe from those pesky rocks.
                      So Jeff is your pretty Jeep ever going to see a trail again or are we going to call it a drive way krawler

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                        Nothing wrong with building a good hi steer setup, just not that easy with stock Rubicon front axle. to do that right you look at knuckles, frame notch hi steer arms and what not, but once it's done right it makes for a nice steering setup that is fairly safe from those pesky rocks.
                        So Jeff is your pretty Jeep ever going to see a trail again or are we going to call it a drive way krawler

It should be back on the trail by late May early June.

Monday I'm going to order some King Coilovers 14" 2.0 with remote resv with adjuster for the front. I am also going to start collecting what I need to do the front steering.

Then my next step (later this year) will be to stretch the rear 8"s and outboard the shocks and move the 14"s to the rear and install a shock hoop and go 16" on the front.

Now I am on my way to the garage to install the new steering pump,cooler and gear box. Any tips I need to know to make it easy?

Jeff

Comment

The one tip is that most likely one of the steering box mounting bolts is not going to fit. Unless this steering box has a different mounting point for the upper ear the saginaw boxes are not a straight bolt in replacement for the Mercedes steering box. Also you will have to collapse the lower steering shaft,lk since this box is longer than the stock one. The steering shaft has a plastic sheer pin in it that you either remove or sheer and then the shaft should collapse fairly easily. Have fun as far as 16" coilovers go that is more than you need, unless you really just want those 2 holes in the hood. 14" coilovers are plenty good for all the flex you want.

See what I mean. Fred's and mine have center limit straps to limit droop and still have full flex.

Comment

How are those tires holding up Jeff? I kind of miss them from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by fourbangeryj View Post
                              How are those tires holding up Jeff? I kind of miss them from time to time.
                              So far they are doing great. They should last the rest of this year. Then I will be moving up to 40's.

Comment

Working...
                              X