Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires and Rims

Time for some new socks and shoes for the jeep. going with a 35x12.50x15 and I've always ran 15x8's. I'm going to be going with beadlocks this time and my question is: Is there a benefit of going to a 15x10?
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

There are two reasons to go to Ten one is there is less lateral stress on the bead when you air down and the side wall springs out when crawling over rocks the second is if you look at recommended rim with 8.0 is min on a 12.5 tire typically 9.0 is the middle 10 the top 8 the min. Plus side if you got to a 37 inch tire in the future you won't need to invest in new rims until you pass the 40 inch marker lol. Happy shopping for new shoes.

Comment

It would actually not be a bad idea to shop for 17" rims

Comment

If you plan on going bigger than 35's theres more sizes availiable for the 17" wheels. Other than that 15" tires are considerably cheaper than 17" tires that is until you get into the 37" and up they are about the same. If your going with a 12.50 wide tire I would stick with a narrower wheel. Just because the outer beadlock ring wont stick out as much past the tire and get screwed up as bad by rocks dragging on it. I have a 10" allied beadlock wheel with a 35x13.50x 15 tire. Just put new aluminum rings and bolts on it and they are gouged up allready from doing 3 trails at the hammers. Thats to be expected though lol.

Comment

^^^ What they said about the 17s, I have a set (selling soon) and I really like the availability (except for MTRs ) of bigger sizes for 17" wheels.
          [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

I have no intention of going up to 37's. 35's are good nuff for me. At 37 I'll be in need of getting rid of the 30 front end and regearing again and opening a can of worms. Maybe after tomorrow once I win my 500+ million dollars from Mega Millions I'll step up to proRock 60's and then I'll get some beef for the jeep. Til then I'll be a wimpy 35 inch tire owner.
            I'll be doing km2's since mtr/k's are a pita to get and some Trail Ready HD 15x10 beadlocks.

Comment

You might want to look at a beadlock ,that has the bolts recessed or better protected. If your gonna spend that kind of coin. Might as well get something thats less trouble, when you do have to remove the bolts.
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

TR HD's are recessed. Not totally flush but enough for me.
                Last edited by brokenujoint; 03-29-12, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Those bolt heads dig in and give you more traction in the side of the rocks lol. I would go with a 8 inch rim if you could with a 12.50 tire.

Comment

Ive learned that the TrailReady HD beadlock comes in a 15x9 so I get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                      Those bolt heads dig in and give you more traction in the side of the rocks lol.
                      earlier on I had thought about replacing my lock rings with ones that inset the bolts, thinking that the rounded off bolts would be a problem, and insetting them would be good.

But then i got to thinking that those bolts aren't on there very tight, only 16 footpounds. So it would be easy to remove them with vice grips if they got rounded off so bad that a socket wouldn't fit over them.

And if the rings inset the bolts, since they are aluminum the holes for the bolts might get deformed a bit as rocks scrape over them, making it harder to get a socket in there?
                      [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                      www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

why not raceline? 15" or 17" x9
                        *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

With a "12.50" tire which with some tires can vary from 11"-12" a 9" rim is ideal. I vote TR 15x9 Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by daniel_buck View Post
                            earlier on I had thought about replacing my lock rings with ones that inset the bolts, thinking that the rounded off bolts would be a problem, and insetting them would be good.

But then i got to thinking that those bolts aren't on there very tight, only 16 footpounds. So it would be easy to remove them with vice grips if they got rounded off so bad that a socket wouldn't fit over them.

And if the rings inset the bolts, since they are aluminum the holes for the bolts might get deformed a bit as rocks scrape over them, making it harder to get a socket in there?
                            I rubbed the aluminum rings on my Trailready beadlocks a fair amount and that isn't an issue. What I like a lot about the trail ready ones is that the rings are held on by bolts and nuts, not nutserts so when a bolt head shears of replacing it is cake. One thing to check for on a regular basis when you rub the bolts a lot is to check and retorque them. They do spin loose when they rub hard on rocks

Comment

I check the torque on mine after each wheeling trip, (as well as when I rotate the tires as well). I do find that some of them need a little turning to get the torque back, but overall, most of them don't need anything, and the ones that do need less than 1/8th of a turn. Rarely do any of them ever need more than 18th of a turn. Never had one snap or crack, quite a few of them have started to round off, but so far I can still get the socket on all of them When I got new tires last time, I replaced a few of the bolts that looked the worst.
                              [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                              www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Working...
                              X