Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Hub/Bearing Assembly

On the tj hub assembly aka unit bearing, can the wheel studs be changed if the bearing is still good? If not, anybody have 2 for an 03?:confused:
    It was like that when I got here.

I dont see why not. Get them at the autoparts store for ~3 bucks each.

Comment

If you change them, make sure your replacements have a knurl that is .002"-.003" bigger than what you took out or they can spin while torquing. Check Summit's selection of ARP wheel studs. Dorman is good too.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Yes they can. Napa carries a stud for this.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RAT View Post
          Yes they can. Napa carries a stud for this.
          Great. Napa is where I'm gonna go. They pressed my rear studs in for me, for a dollar each. can't beat that. Thanks

Comment

I used napa for 2 replacements still good 2years later

Comment

Well, the answer is yes. Napa can pop the old wheel studs out, no problem. But after a bit of thinking, I decided to replace, both Hub/Bearings. They have 108k miles on them. Also I just put RCV's in the front. The way the axle nut is locked into place, makes it no fun to remove. There is also a chance of damaging the threads at the end of the axle, cause you have to deform the axle nut with a chisel, instead of a cotter pin, to lock the nut in place. See Beau's Jeep thread for a close up pic, mine is the same. This way I shouldn't have to remove the axle nut again for a long time. Just curious, could I just use the strongest, perminate locktite, instead of deforming the nut again?Hope to be installing this week. waiting for new hubs, in the mail.

Comment

I am not working that hard this week... let me know when you are installing them and I will come down with some "non work' clothes on and get my hands dirty with you...

B

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                  Well, the answer is yes. Napa can pop the old wheel studs out, no problem. But after a bit of thinking, I decided to replace, both Hub/Bearings. They have 108k miles on them. Also I just put RCV's in the front. The way the axle nut is locked into place, makes it no fun to remove. There is also a chance of damaging the threads at the end of the axle, cause you have to deform the axle nut with a chisel, instead of a cotter pin, to lock the nut in place. See Beau's Jeep thread for a close up pic, mine is the same. This way I shouldn't have to remove the axle nut again for a long time. Just curious, could I just use the strongest, perminate locktite, instead of deforming the nut again?Hope to be installing this week. waiting for new hubs, in the mail.
                  Red loctite will keep er in place the green stuff you will need to heat when you try to take it apart or things get destroyed.
                  If you are carefull with the nuts that you stake in place you can kind of pry that part up and it will do no damage to the threads, also the staked part of the nut is a lot softer that the threads on the axle shaft

Comment

Originally posted by vwtipeii View Post
                    I am not working that hard this week... let me know when you are installing them and I will come down with some "non work' clothes on and get my hands dirty with you...

B
                    I'll let you know when I get them in. Damn, partsbin.com hasn't shipped my order yet. Make sure you wear your leather shoes and button down, longsleeve dress shirt again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                      I'll let you know when I get them in. Damn, partsbin.com hasn't shipped my order yet. Make sure you wear your leather shoes and button down, longsleeve dress shirt again.
                      Take a pic of Skeeter in that outfit with a wrench in his hand will Ya

Comment

miguelitojeep97 I tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full.

Comment

fixed! sorry bout that
                          [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Got the new unit bearings on today. With these and my new RCV's, up front, I shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Comment

You might notice the steering will be stiffer than it was after you Install the cv axles, it's just the way the6 are. They will loosen up after a while. But read and heed the instructions. Don't grease them very much. The tube that comes with the axles will last you years.
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X