Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• durango steering box

I have a durango steering box in my TJ. Well the out put shaft has a lot of slop in it. So does that have a bushing or a bearing? And how hard is it to replace?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

I don't know too much specifically about the Durango box but I know there is usually an allen key set screw to give you some adjustment on the shaft inside. I actually just had to tighten mine up a bit on the YJ.
    USMC F&AM

Comment

No mine's got side slop. Like the bearing or bushing is shot.
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

PM me a fax number & I'll send you a diagram of the gearbox. Let me know the year of the gearbox as well if you have it.
        I spend most of my money on four-wheeling, the rest I just waste.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          No mine's got side slop. Like the bearing or bushing is shot.
          Stock TJ box has needle bearings, Durango box should just have a bushing, so basically you are looking at a replacement box.
          If you try to rebuild thios one you might as well drill and tap it

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Stock TJ box has needle bearings, Durango box should just have a bushing, so basically you are looking at a replacement box.
            Yea thats what I was afraid of. No way to replace the bushing?

Comment

It's more a matter of finding or making a bushing

Comment

One regret I've made is getting rid of a stock box and "upgrading" to a Durango. I thought that it would be a good upgrade. It was sloppy and leaked after about 8,000 miles. Keep in mind it was a junk yard box but still... my 97 stock box never did me wrong. I've since gone back to a stock box and until I pony up $$$ for a hydro-assist from psc I can't complain. I think the Durango box is over-rated.
                1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Well I guess it's off to pickapart to find a TJ or cherokee. I've done the rebuild box's with no luck. And yea I think the durango box was a mistake.
                  Last edited by curtis; 02-22-12, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Curtis: If you're still interested, the Durango box has a needle bearing assy for the pitman shaft. I'll scan and email the Alldata overhaul diagrams, procedures and parts listing to you. Sounds like a Rock Ram system may be the way to go in the long run, however.
                    I spend most of my money on four-wheeling, the rest I just waste.

Comment

That's great Tom. Thanks alot and I really apreciate the info.

Comment

Other than a few drips mine works awesome. I can feel the diference as far more power steering action than a stock box especially with the bigger tires. If your going to run a ram assisted set up I guess it dont matter. But with 35's and dana 30 hp is it really needed. 37s and a dana 60 I think would be a different story though.

Comment

I like the durango box. I guest my gripe is really with Napa. I got the box at a pickapart and took it to napa thinking that a rebuilded box would be better than just a used box. (thats what I get for thinking). Well I'm on my third box from Napa, (they have been good about it). I found another box at pickapart, so I have a spare if this box goes bad.

Comment

Hey guys I've been considering swapping in a durango box but where is a good place to buy one? Rebuilt or new? TIA

Comment

Got mine at a junkyard for $100 but its starting to leak so maybe a rebuilt would be better. I want to find a reputable rebuilder and send it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X