Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non jeep related mechanical issue.. SORRYYYYYY

OK, I GOT A WEIRD ONE. I was on my way to Vegas in my 2010 honda civic. I started getting this annoying grating sound in my left front wheel well. I highly assumed I either picked up a rock in my pad/rotor or cracked a pad. It almost sounds as if u put a bolt through a metal sleeve and then lightly lowered it onto to a spinning disk. when I hit the brakes it would go away. Sometimes. I can hear the sound vary with brake pressure. Then for nearly a hundred miles it stopped. Then I noticed on lane changes it would start up. I havent tore the caliper off yet, gotta go to work in a bit . Car has 33,000 miles. Other than a somewhat obvious pad issue could a bearing act this way? Come and go and vary with lane bumps? Pads look meaty still.any thoughts?
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Check the wear indicators on the pads. If the caliper is sticking, it can wear only the piston side and that pad's tattle tale will ride on the disc. Our JK had even wear, but wold come and go with speed and bumps - wierd. Also check the CV axle. Does it happen more when turning?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

Yea its the wear indicators means you need to change the brakes now.

Comment

yeah I'm praying it is actually. I tried to get the calipers off before dashing to work but those things are on there insanely tight. Will pop them off tomorrow. Pads look pretty thick but I'm not familiar with what new ones look like in way of thickness... Good reason for a change anyways. cant hurt.... I played with the indicators and pushed them inward and it didnt make any noise for my 25 mile comute.

Comment

Could be a stupid rock too.

Comment

Most rocks aren't too bright... The new thickness on a pad should be around 1/2-9/16". Don't feel bad about the non-Jeepedness. My rear calipers are from a Miata.
            -sons of thunder

Comment

At 37mpg I don't... :yay:

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                Check the wear indicators on the pads. If the caliper is sticking, it can wear only the piston side and that pad's tattle tale will ride on the disc. Our JK had even wear, but wold come and go with speed and bumps - wierd. Also check the CV axle. Does it happen more when turning?
                Good call. The outboard brake pads looked worn but ok. The inboard pads, they were junk. Threw new pads on with in 30 minutes and she feels good as new. Curious why both inboards wear so much faster. Maybe its a Honda thing.....

Comment

Cool. One thing to keep an eye on is the condition of the slider pins as well as their bores. Sometimes the bore will wear and the pads will hold things in proper alignment for a while, but bind when they hit the worn spot. Some calipers have replaceable bronze bushings for the sliders but some are better off replaced.
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

By design, most vehicles wear the inside slightly faster (sliding caliper). The slider pins commonly drag or stick and no one ever cleans and lubes them. You get a vehicle with a few brake jobs done and the next thing you know its only stopping with the inner pad. I have a few rotors at work where the inside of the rotor is worn into the fins and the outside still has meat on it. Funny thing is the customers all said "it just started making noise". The pads and and backing plates were gone, they were stopping with the caliper piston against the rotor.
                    Come to the dark side.....
                    We have Cookies!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
                      The pads and and backing plates were gone, they were stopping with the caliper piston against the rotor.
                      Wow! (a bad wow)
                      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Yea
                        When I showed it to my class one of the students said "Imposable, Ive been working for pep boys for almost a year and I never saw that". Two weeks later he brings me in a rotor and says "damn, never thought it was possible". He also stated the customer said "it just started making noise".
                        Come to the dark side.....
                        We have Cookies!

Comment

Working...
                        X