Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch

What's the feel out there for this winch ?

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-982...8740367&sr=8-2

I've seen a few people review that one. The results are kinda mixed. I think it all depends on you.
    For the most part you want a 9k or better. If I had that one I defiantly would also have a snatch block and a better cable protector.

There are a few of us who really use our winches alot and we would probably trash that one. On the other hand, one of the guys is running a Harbor freight winch. He hasn't seemed to break it yet. My 12k winch is 25 years old. It doesn't seem to pull like it use to, I'm thinking this spring having the motor rewound and it will be great again.
    I guess the main question is, do you want (or need) a real high quality, proven winch or do you need some form of protection you can afford?
    Sadly Smitty built has a very poor reputation for quality lately.
    Come to the dark side.....
    We have Cookies!

Comment

I have that 8k winch and it works great. Only had to use it twice when I went to the hammers this weekend. Once to pull me off a few rocks because I was high centered and once to pull art off a few rocks worked perfect both times. I only use it when rock stacking wont work and believe it or not most winches come from the same place so why spend double on basically the same thing. Used my $159 3/8" 18000# winch rope I got on ebay which is basically a rebadged smitty sold at 4wp for $200+. I have used my winch a total of 6 times since I bought it 2+ years ago. Maybe its me but I dont see a need to buy a $600 winch you hardly use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
        I have that 8k winch and it works great. Only had to use it twice when I went to the hammers this weekend. Once to pull me off a few rocks because I was high centered and once to pull art off a few rocks worked perfect both times. I only use it when rock stacking wont work and believe it or not most winches come from the same place so why spend double on basically the same thing. Used my $159 3/8" 18000# winch rope I got on ebay which is basically a rebadged smitty sold at 4wp for $200+. I have used my winch a total of 6 times since I bought it 2+ years ago. Maybe its me but I dont see a need to buy a $600 winch you hardly use.
        X2
        I have the XRC10 for 3 years and has always worked when I need it.
        Times used about 30 times. I paid $380 to my door.
        04 Rubi
        00 XJ

Comment

My opinion on cheaper winches is just don't get the cheapest one and if u hardly use it it'll last, when I get one I'll probably get an xrc10 looks worth the money. Now if u are gonna use it frequently then I would save up and get a better quality winch. Also the cheaper winches have alot slower line speed then a warn. I've seen a warn m8000 and xrc8 in action and the warn had almost twice the line speed, but that may not matter to most.

Comment

How about recovery straps ?

Nylon or Poly ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              believe it or not most winches come from the same place so why spend double on basically the same thing.
              Interesting you state that as that winch configuration looks a lot like the "new" quadratec winch that is being sported on the front cover this quarter.

Comment

Working...
              X