Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter - solenoid or motor?

My starter went out and I'm debating replacing the solenoid or the whole motor. I've never seen a starter motor fail. I've done my share of swapping solenoids. I'm just looking to not spend money on something that's still good. What would you do?
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Can you take it, and have it teated?
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

When mine goes this is what I will get. Good luck..

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55111_5002.htm
      04 Rubi
      00 XJ

Comment

Id just go to autozone and get a lifetime garantee duralast and be done with it. OMG! $300 on a starter is just ridiculouse. Spent only $125 for a high torque for a $30k 1100 hp blown 572 I built for a buddies boat and that actually needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
          Id just go to autozone and get a lifetime garantee duralast and be done with it. OMG! $300 on a starter is just ridiculouse. Spent only $125 for a high torque for a $30k 1100 hp blown 572 I built for a buddies boat and that actually needed it.
          Kinda what I was thinking. I have no problem testing the coils on the solenoid, and I've never seen a starter motor fail. I used the original motor from my 250 on a 305 to a 402 and a 350. It never had a problem. It fried three solenoids and munched a bendix, but the motor was always good - and it was 20 years old when I got it. But, it didn't do many water crossings... The only thing on my mind about this one is the condition of the bearings. I'll probably save the time of checking them out and get the full starter.

Thanks for your input.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Ive rebuilt a few starters and alternator in high school auto shop 30+ years ago. But in this day and age I dont think they teach it anymore but I could be wrong. I do know the brushes and bearing or bushings can and do wear out but it takes a long time for that to happen. Wow! that starter has been through alot maybe its time lol.

Comment

I would stay away from the cheap auto parts trash. They are built or rebuilt with the cheapest parts available. Usually Chinese parts and assembled by a kid that was flipping burgers 2 weeks ago.

Take it to a rebuilder. I have one next door to where I work. I would trust his rebuild over any auto parts store rebuilt. I often watch him rebuild them. He turns the commutators, rewinds them etc.

Oh and yes I have had a starter motor fail. Usually the brushes get too short (gm) but Ford starters like to short out the fields.

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                I would stay away from the cheap auto parts trash. They are built or rebuilt with the cheapest parts available. Usually Chinese parts and assembled by a kid that was flipping burgers 2 weeks ago.

Take it to a rebuilder. I have one next door to where I work. I would trust his rebuild over any auto parts store rebuilt. I often watch him rebuild them. He turns the commutators, rewinds them etc.

Oh and yes I have had a starter motor fail. Usually the brushes get too short (gm) but Ford starters like to short out the fields.
                X2
                Either take it to a reparable rebuilder that uses US-made parts or buy a US made starter and help the economy at the same time.

$300 for made in the USA starter
                $125 for made in China starter
                04 Rubi
                00 XJ

Comment

I had these guys rebuild my two boat starters last year and I liked their shop; and they are in your town.

Riverside Alternator and Starter
                  9960 Indiana Ave Unit #3
                  Riverside 92503
                  Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X