Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

06 Rubicon front locker engages after activating the rear locker.

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: 06 Rubicon front locker engages after activating the rear locker.

This is the problem I'm having-- when I press the button to lock the rear locker (as far as I know OEM lockers) by pressing the button once the rear locker light blinks and then after it locks the light goes solid. However, after a few seconds and without touching the button again the front locker light starts to blink along with the rear locker light. Then I feel the steering getting difficult to turn and I then know the front lockers engaged as well.

Tried this several times and it happens every time I engage the rear locker. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing the front lockers to engage when only the rear locker is activated?

Hope someone can offer some ideas of how to fix this before I have to take it to the local stealer.

I don't like how one factory switch controls both lockers, I always had to stop and think which direction do I throw the switch. I would suggest doing the "locker bypass" modification, and put each locker on a separate switch. There's a few ways to do this, depending on how much re-wiring you want to do (I did one of the simpler ones, which just taps into the existing locker switch, but lets the two new switches control the lockers). I'm not sure if this would fix the problem or not.

But as for why the front is locking when you haven't touched it, I don't know :-(
    Last edited by daniel_buck; 12-13-11, 02:24 PM.
    [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
    www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

OK Daniel, I'll look into this and thank you for the help.

Comment

I believe this is the site I referenced when doing mine:

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/T...ker_Defeat.htm
        [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab

Comment

I think your OEM switch might be bad. Can you borrow a switch from a friend? The switch is kind of expensive so if it is the switch I (my self) would go with Daniel suggestion. I live in Ventura don’t know how far you are from me?? I would pull mine off the jeep.
          04 Rubi
          00 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by WeRubiBlue06 View Post
            This is the problem I'm having-- when I press the button to lock the rear locker (as far as I know OEM lockers) by pressing the button once the rear locker light blinks and then after it locks the light goes solid. However, after a few seconds and without touching the button again the front locker light starts to blink along with the rear locker light. Then I feel the steering getting difficult to turn and I then know the front lockers engaged as well.

Tried this several times and it happens every time I engage the rear locker. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing the front lockers to engage when only the rear locker is activated?

Hope someone can offer some ideas of how to fix this before I have to take it to the local stealer.
            Bernie, I checked the wiring diagrams for the lockers, and I suspect the switch is faulty, but there is a slight possibility that there is a short in the wiring.

When the steering gets difficult to turn which means that the front lockers are engaged, is the rear locker light on the instrument panel steady or flashing? Is the front locker light steady or flashing? When they flash, do they flash slowly (one flash per second) or flash quickly (two flashes per second)? Did you try to turn the front locker off by pressing the bottom of the switch? Did you try to turn both lockers off by pressing the top of the switch?

1. If the lights are steady, the most likely cause is that the locker switch is shorted between pins 5 and 7, which causes the front locker to engage.
            2. If the lights are flashing, it is most likely a short in the wiring or a short in the instrument panel which causes the front locker to engage.

I have a new, unused locker switch that I can send you to try.

Russ
            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
            KI6MLU

Comment

That sounds like a good idea, i'll check that this weekend.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help guys.

Russ, I'll double check the blinking lights speed and when exactly they blink--hope it is just the switch.

Comment

So I had a Jeep friend lend me an unused OEM locker Switch to make sure it was the switch giving me the problem. Well it was not the switch I ended up having to take it to the dealer and after much testing and diagnosing the dealer realized that a C102 connecter to the lockers was dirty and full of dried mud from when my son would go out with his friend mudding near home. The tech told me he just cleaned it and greased it up and it has worked fine since then.

Just about all of the threads I read here and in other forums lead me to the same place—to bi-pass the original switch and separate the two lockers with their own switchs.

I thank you all for your advice with this, all of your opinions and advice was helpful for me to making the decision of what I needed to do.

Comment

awesome, glad you got it fixed

Comment

Mud and sand; Jeep's worst enemies....but yay!!! No worries for the 10th
                    Jeep Girl

Comment

Hakuna Matata all the way to the 10th...

Comment

Working...
                      X