Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you understand the word's coming out of my mouth?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you understand the word's coming out of my mouth?

Alrighty boy's and girl's...

Calling local tire shops around Victorville asking about (tire siping).
    When calling tire shops I have had long pauses, "did you say tire sizing"? Long pause, "you need what"? Long pause, "siping"? I know I am in the desert but will need siping soon because old MTR's suck in wet slick conditions. They have been very good to me on the rocks.

With that said, any one know of a place that does sipe tires local to in San Bernardino County area?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

Oh, called Dicount tire, Johns, Town and country, Big O to name a few.
    Build it right the first time.

I know there's more of us out their saying what......siping tires?????? I spent 5 years in College and never heard of siping until today. I now know the definition of sipping.

"Back near the dawn of the automotive era, a boater by the name of John Sipe was looking for a way to make his deck shoes more slip-resistant on wet boat decks. He came across the idea of cutting parallel slits in the rubber soles. He tried it and it worked! One thing led to another and the use of "Siping" for automobile tires soon caught on.

Siping is a process that involves no removal of rubber, just the creation of slits into the tread blocks. It is very common in all-season and M+S automobile tires, but not too common in off-road "Mud Terrain" type tires, which feature large, monolithic tread blocks. However, there are benefits to be gained from siping these kind of tires."

Comment

Is there a special tool or can a razor knife be used?
      All slow and no show

Comment

I've seen hot knives - like a soldering iron with a blade - for sale. It would take about four quarts of elbow grease per tire to do it yourself I figure.
        God forgives, rocks don't
        -sons of thunder

Comment

I have 7 tires and would prefer to pay the $10-$12 per tire due to a schedule issue.
          Build it right the first time.

Comment

It's not that hard to do and it can be done on the vehicle. Used to sipe our own tires for road racing. McMaster Carr sells a hot knife and there are siping tools for sale on Ebay.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X