Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever install a Super 8.8 kit? Anyone feel like helping me do it? ;)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever install a Super 8.8 kit? Anyone feel like helping me do it? ;)

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/super88/super88-1.htm

I am most likely going to buy this kit once my stretch and TC upgrades are complete. Any comments are appreciated regarding the install and improved strength post install.

Thanks,
    B

Brett, you expecting alot of xmas cards full of cash? I'm stuck in the "more plans then money" category.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

lol.. i think we are all in that boat! Just for fun I talked to Dynatrac online this morning about having them build a new Dana 44 for the front of my YJ... that was around $4,500 plus another $1,500 for other "stuff". I think the $400-$500 for the rear axles is a "bargain" compaired to buying the new Dana 44... All in due time...

After watching Chuck, Kurt and Curtis "walk" up Gatekeeper in Calico this weekend I think it will be a great idea to strenthen my rear 8.8 once I drop in the Dana 20 & Klune TC combo. The 9.23 low range will tear things up so i want to get ahead of some of the "quick fixes" before I break stuff so I have spares

Does anyone else have a problem with getting work done today??? hahaha

Brett

Comment

Seems like a nice kit for the 8.8 makes it a bit wider also which is a plus. If you are going to spend money on a front axle, there is a front rockjock on here for sale for a pretty sweet price, or if you spend your money with Dynatrac have them built you a Dana 44/60 hybrid. basically a Dana44 diff housing with Dana 60 outers. They will built you one of those and are the Cats pajamas

Comment

Keep an eye out for Rubicon 44's, for the front. You can usually find them pretty cheap. Don't forget the rear swaybar, to keep that nose down.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Too bad you don't have a pass drop front. I have a pass drop 44.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Brett, Don't forget that some of those boys have spent $10,000 to over $20,000 and several months to a year on the builds. Have fun, a step at a time. I should have let let you go over that drop off, I did have a camera!

Comment

I hear that! I would have walked down that drop off.. I just don't do well on the slightly off camber stuff

I purchased the Axle 8.8 kit today, went with the Yukon Brand... Rob totally hooked me up and only charged me a flat $400.00 over 20% off!!!

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento...rome-moly.html

After my purchase I spent most of tonight watching soccer and doing a little prep work on my new Genright Alumi "Fun"ders. My gf was not pleased with the mess I made in my living room and now she is making me go to her house to eat the steaks I thawed...Life is tough!! I never knew that was a "good" towel...oops!

Comment

It has Jeep DNA in it now. That makes it a great towel.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Perfect, an early Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                      It has Jeep DNA in it now. That makes it a great towel.
                      How much DNA should be in a towel before its great?
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

my poor towel!

Today was a productive day... I painted the fenders and flares:
                        first coat of primer:

2nd coat of primer:

after three coats of black:

I hope they turn out ok in the am. I can still see some spray lines in the drying paint... I hope it will blend as it dries over night.

On another good note my new LED Tail lights arrived in less than 24 hours from me ordering them yesterday

The only bad things is that when I tried to install them... of course the connectors don't match

I can probably just splice the wires... but of course i don't know which one is which because of course there were no instructions or wiring diagram included with the box. The good thing is that the company is right here in LA in the City of Industry.

I need to actually do some work to earn a paycheck tomorrow lol...

Comment

progess (good and bad) on alumi fenders

i just mocked up my fenders after letting them dry overnight. I must say the paint job came out a little "spotty". should I sand them down and add another coat? On another and probably a more important note, I mocked them up to see how the will look this am and i don't think I have the correct combo of fender and flares. What do you guys think? I guess i should have done this before i painted them. Silly me for assuming...

B

Comment

I wouldn't bother sanding them to metal. I would just add another coat. You might have better luck with the pant cans that used a strait up and down spray pattern. If you add a coat you could skuff them with some 800 before you do.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Are those for the stretch? The fender can go back a good ways to center up on the wheel cut out. Best thing to do is install the armor then move the fender to fit the opening and see where it winds up.
                              If you sand the fenders again, go light with 350-500 grit and when you paint, keep the rattle can about 5 inches away from the work. You should overlap at least one third each pass. If you want it look really sweet, let the color coat dry and get some clear spray at Home Depot. Wet sand the color coat with 800 grit after it dries over night and clean it really good. Let it dry completely then spray the clear on it. It will be all shiney and stuff
                              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X