Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new wheel studs for spacers

If I go with 1/2 inch spacers will I need to restud the front of my LJ? I guess I should have chosen a 4in backspace wheel instead of 4.5 since the tires are rubbing the arms.Thanks in advance for the help

Before you go to spacers, maybe consider new wheels. If you're running cheap steal wheels, it may even be cheaper. If you go with new wheels I'd go 3.75 BS. I'm running 35's on a 4" lift with no rubbing. Spacers cause excessive wear on ball joints.

Bolting on a spacer is like bolting on a wheel. The holes are counter sunk for the lugnuts, so your new mounting surface is flat.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed13; 11-22-11, 03:26 PM.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

If you go with the spacers that only go sandwich between the rim and the rotor then YES you need to re-stud. (I would not use this kind of spacer)

If you are going with spacers that bolt to the rotor then NO the spacers have new bolts on them.
      How bad do the tires rub? If your tires are just barley rubbing then you could also adjust the steering STOP.
      04 Rubi
      00 XJ

Comment

Yes trying to free up the steering stops with penetrant first. I was thinking to go with the 1.25 inch spacer that has studs in them. The 1/2 inch I was thinking as a trial.

Comment

I agree the ball joint wear is a concern, but the jeep is luckily not a daily driver. I have the 4.5 RE long arm kit with 35's. I just bought the wheels(ATX), so do not want to replace them. I will see about the steering stops first to see if I can live with my error. If not I will try the 1.25" spacers.

Comment

Nothing wrong with running good wheel spacers. I ran them for years with no issues. The wheel spacers will come with new studs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
              Spacers cause excessive wear on ball joints.
              Originally posted by slsjeep View Post
              I agree the ball joint wear is a concern, but the jeep is luckily not a daily driver.
              :confused:
              I have run the bolt on spacers for years with no problems.
              -Bob
              '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Be careful. Spacers are fine, but sometimes you have to re-stud to compensate for the thickness. A common thickness is 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". If they aren't cut deep enough on the seat, you will have to put new studs in. If you have to do it, make sure you know your stock knurl diameter and go .002 or .003" bigger. If you don't they can warble out if not properly torqued. You can find a set that are only 1" thick. I had to get them on ebay. The seats weren't cut terribly deep, but at least had some thick material to clamp onto. But... This left the faces of the new lug nuts sticking out past the face of the spacer. I had to trim them down so they wouldn't stick out and interfere with the seating of the wheel. All that being said, wheel spacers - the bolt on/adapter style (NOT the cast, slip-on style) are no more detrimental than changing to a wheel with less backspacing. It's about like the hazards of running plain muffler bearings instead of the chrome plated ones.
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                X