Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust modification

While completing some routine maintenance on my 99 TJ, I noticed my tailpipe and passenger side rear shock were both dented. It appears the tailpipe and shock have come in contact on several occassions. The end of the tailpipe has been bashed up quite a bit too.

This got me thinking after seeing an advertisment for Magnaflow's off-road pro series muffler. Would there be an issues if I cut off the tailpipe a few inches back from the muffler and installed a turn down style tailpipe end? This would eliminate the tailpipe going over the axle and prevent any furture damage. Anyone ever done this type of modification or upgraded to the Magnaflow system? Looking for any feedback. Thanks!

Don't know anything about the Magnaflow. Your main issue with a dump out of the back of the muffler, is volume. Its gonna be louder. The exhaust, out the back, only reduces exhaust volume. It will not effect performance in any way. I had a 68 Camero ( man, I miss that car) with duel exhaust, and dumps coming out the thrush mufflers. The sound rumbled and rolled under the car. These are the ingredients for, LOUD. The same will happen with your jeep. If you turn the tip toward the side of the jeep, this may help, a little, but not much.
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Wonder what would be louder the exaust or the tires lol.

Comment

I would take it out the back also. the Magnaflow is pretty quiet, but dumping it under the jeep would make it louder. I guess you could get a louder stereo to compensate tho...LOL
        Last edited by slsjeep; 10-28-11, 11:12 AM.

Comment

What about fumes coming up while sitting idle in traffic or on a trail? I would worry that on a hot summer day with the top off you'd get a good bit.
          USMC F&AM

Comment

No matter what brand you use, carbon monoxide kills. Route it out from under the tub. If you want loud, move the outlet just behind the wheel. A longer tailpipe will mellow the tone considerably. A 2 1/2" pipe should give more than sufficient flow.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. After looking at it more, I've decided I'll keep the tailpipe as is, just arrange the hangers so there is sufficient clearance away from the rear passenger side shock.

Comment

Working...
              X