Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive or haul the jeep from So Cal to Moab

Have a couple friends going in the spring and I would rather haul the jeep while my friend was considering driving his. I wonder who all have done either and the pros and cons as you all see it.

It is a long drive to Moab. I towed mine with my Expedition the last time I went. It would be a long way in my non AC jeep with a half top and soft doors.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I flat towed once and trailered once. It is a very long drive.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

We drove ours. Tow. Not just for comfort but for insurance that you have a way home
        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

x2 on tow. On a trailer if possible.
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Tow on a trailer
            Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Yeah on a trailer is preferable for me, flat if I have to tho. My friends want to drive, I would much rather tow with my duramax and be comfortable for 700+ miles. I think he is nuts. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Tow...and bring plenty of spares for the trailer!

Comment

Steve,

It isn't clear from your post whether you already have a tow bar or trailer, or if you were planning to buy or borrow the tow equipment. If you already have the equipment, there is no question that you should tow or trailer your Jeep. The main reason is that if you break something, you will still have a way to get your rig and yourself home. If you don't have the tow equipment, and you have to buy or rent it, then it depends on how much you want to spend and how well your rig does on the highway. My TJ drives OK on the highway; I have 33s, 4.10 axle ratio, A/C, cruise control, 4.0L 6-cyl. I get about 16 mpg on the highway. I've driven it to Moab, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Some Jeeps have been built for extreme rock crawling, and they are not suited for long highway trips because of tires and/or gearing. If your Jeep is like that, and you want to keep the cost down, then you should consider flat towing it.

Russ
                  If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                  KI6MLU

Comment

I flat tow mine when we go to Colorado. I would rather drive it, but it's not worth the headache of finding parts and getting back on the highway if something goes wrong. It's always nice to have blan 'B' with you!!!

HOOYAH!!!
                    Dan

Comment

Another for tow. Just good planning to have a trailer in case something breaks.

Comment

We drove and honestly we did not have as much fun as we wanted while there. We took it light and did trails that we felt would have the least potential to damage the rig. So I say sell your toy hauler, get a goose neck haul the two. Then the rest of the time when you dont need to haul two jeeps you can toss a camper on the front section jeep in the back...
                        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
                          We drove and honestly we did not have as much fun as we wanted while there. We took it light and did trails that we felt would have the least potential to damage the rig. So I say sell your toy hauler, get a goose neck haul the two. Then the rest of the time when you dont need to haul two jeeps you can toss a camper on the front section jeep in the back...
                          LOL.... Jim, you knew who this was. Thanks for the advice all. I was already convinced, but Like I said my friend was not. This is good ammo for the argument. I think its even worth borrow or buying a trailer that can be used in the future.

Comment

Driving a jeep long distances isn't really that bad. I drove mine on a 10,000 trip earlier this year, it was just fine. However, I wasn't doing any hardcore wheeling along the trip, just mild stuff. If you're gonna hit hard trails that far from home, that might be a good reason to trailer it.
                            [COLOR="#FF0000"]R[/COLOR]edneck [COLOR="#FF0000"]D[/COLOR]riveway [COLOR="#FF0000"]F[/COLOR]ab
                            www.DanielBuck.net - www.DNSFAIL.com - www.FurnitureByBuck.com

Comment

Drive... Jeep adventures rule!
                              [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X