Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody have any suggestions besides a lift?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody have any suggestions besides a lift?

My jeep Id love some suggestions from a real jeep ethusiast
    Tires
    100.00%
    Rims
    0.00%
    Half Doors
    0.00%
    Hood Scoops
    0.00%

your link doesnt work.
    what are your plans for the jeep? what type of trails do you have in mind. what s your budget?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Curb feelers.
      I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I pee

Comment

1) Tires- need a lift to make it worthwhile
        2) Rims- save your money for something useful and not bling
        3) Halfdoors- doorless is free
        4) Hood scoops- please tell me you are kidding

My personal suggestion is...get a good set of underside armor. You need rocker guards, oil pan/gas tank/tranny/TC skids, steering box cover, diff cover guards, and, if you have the budget, a new set of bumpers.

You will never outgrow this stuff no matter what lift, tires, rims, halfdoors, hood-scoops, or AutoZone gee-gaws you eventually get. This is confirmed by the relative absence of used armor/skids on the for sale forums. Get it once and forget about it. It will let you learn how to pick the right line and recognize the wrong line without paying big bucks for parts repairs.

Understand, however, that this is colored by the fact that in Southern California, a lot of wheeling is done over fat rocks. Now, where you are at you may be mostly wheeling over soft sand, boggy mud, or smooth pavement, so please take this advice with a grain of salt.
        Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
        2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Performance up grades.. K&N filter ect. exhaust ect. under armor protection ect. Driveline upgrades... cosmetic stuff leave for last... make it trail ready!!!!
          75 blazer + 81 CJ-7 + 90 Wrangler = Tonka Jeep Dave

Comment

Our first organized trail outing was at a "JeepJamboree" in Big Bear- basically jeeping101. We learned an awful lot about how to drive our jeep off road and utilize its capabilities. They trail bosses/teachers there taught us the three most important things about traction: Tires, tires and tires . Lifts can sometimes improve suspension, but they all make room for bigger tires. What propels you down the trail and either over or around obstacles are those four contact patches. Most of your other mods are for minimizing damage or getting unstuck. Nonfunctional scoops and other paraphenalia associated with the word "bling" are strictly for mall jeeps
            It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
            and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

1st - Roll cage and body/under carriage armor.
              Protect what you have first. (Your life & Jeep)
              After that, add what you need.
              Remember; changing one thing leads to changing four things.

CHA CHING $$$$
              DesertYJ
              29 Palms
              "I Love It When She Crawls On All 4's"

Comment

Im looking for tires to be my next addiction/expense, no biggie, I'm ready, Ive done my research...now I come to you guys for your EXPERT opinions. LOL ! I have been told that Firestone destination M/T's are great ! This is not a daily ride, in fact it never goes anywhere except off road. Any suggestions or comments ? Thanks !
                [COLOR=Black]1961 Willy's CJ5[/COLOR] :cocktail:

Comment

Originally posted by Hopi
                  Im looking for tires to be my next addiction/expense, no biggie, I'm ready, Ive done my research...now I come to you guys for your EXPERT opinions. LOL ! I have been told that Firestone destination M/T's are great ! This is not a daily ride, in fact it never goes anywhere except off road. Any suggestions or comments ? Thanks !
                  I don't think I am an EXPERT but I sure to love my MT/R's. They are great in the rocks. Don't know about the mud there is not much around here, not that I would play in that nasty stuff. The sidewalls on the GY are the strongest I have seen in a radial.

I had pretty good luck with BFG MT's. But I like the GY better.

Comment

i'll second the mt/r's
                    they are the best tire available at a fair price for the rocks. if you are into mud.. then it isnt for you, but GREAT for rocks. if you have a fat wallet... the bfg krawlers are nice too, but you better be ready to pull a second mortguage on your house, or sell one of your children for a set of those
                    i have tried a few tires, bias baja claws, bfg mt, pro comp mt, and the mt/r's... they are by far the best.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

I'm also with the mt/r's. They're ok in the mud, if you keep em spinnin good to keep the tread clean. They were a little bit agressive in the sand, just wanted to dig instead of pull. rocks, they ROCK on rocks. On my trail run, what few rocks I got to play on (not many at all) they held true and pulled me over a-ok. Tough sidewalls too, mine were tested on many tree stumps...narrow ATV trails weren't meant for jeeps.
                      04 Rubicon
                      4.5" RE Super Flex
                      1" BL
                      CV Yoke w/ Driveshaft
                      Currie Anti-rock swaybar
                      35" el cheapos
                      Front Bumper & Rockers

Comment

Originally posted by RatherBeJeeping
                        Curb feelers.
                        .......and chrome plated bumperettes.
                        “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
                        -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

spinner rims :thumbs_up
                          [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                          In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Pink roll bar pads would be pretty sick!!!!!! even if you are a guy
                            B R E T T
                            87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
                              Pink roll bar pads would be pretty sick!!!!!! even if you are a guy
                              I had a buddy when I was in the sevice 1982 that rode bulls for the USMC rodeo team, he wore a pink shirt. When I asked him why pink he said he wanted the judges looking at him. The only problem was being seen with him in pubic.
                              [COLOR=Red]Semper Fi[/COLOR]
                              In Loving Memory of My Daughter

Comment

Working...
                              X