Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory skid plates

Would it be worth buying a factory transfer case skid plate for 40 bucks? Is it strong enough ?
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

ARE YOU REPLACING A DAMAGED ONE? IF YOU HAVE THE EXTRA MONEY... JUST GET A GOOD ONE. IMO
    oops.. caps
    or you can just make your own.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Re: Factory skid plates

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
      Would it be worth buying a factory transfer case skid plate for 40 bucks? Is it strong enough ?
      My factory one on my 88 worked fine, I think. Heres a nice one, it costs a bit more, but its cheaper then replacing the t-case: http://www.jksmfg.com/hd_x-member.htm
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I do not have one as of now, money...depends on what other stuff i need to get. now making one...I could do that, or try. Any places where i can get a little writeup about making one, or any other jeep skid plate or metal object for that matter?
        B R E T T

Comment

Ok, should i get an engine/transmission skid plate or rock rails first?
          B R E T T

Comment

I would say rock rails, only because I have never touched my oil pan/tranny on either one of my Jeep vehicles. I'm sure some will disagree with me. I know JeepGal has a nice BIG dent in her oil pan.
            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Crawling under the Missus XJ, I see that her Skid Row TC, tranny, engine, gas tank skids have very little wear. The gas tank seems to have a couple of gouges. The bumpers have a bit more wear but not by much.

By far, the AJ's Super Rails have received the most abuse. I have personally been a passenger when her Super Rails saved her front and rear passenger doors from serious dents. The rails are heavily gouged and scratched up, but the doors still look and function as new. She also now is able to use her rails as a pivot point against rocks and trees for tight turns (important in long-wheelbase).

All armor is important as it is insurance, but if you ask which get heaviest use on my Wife's rig, it's the rocker guards.

For my short wheelbase TJ with auto transmission, I have an annoying tendency to bottom coming off of ledges, so the Bulletproof Mfg bumper gets a beating but my rear corners are still pretty straight.
              Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
              2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

On the AJ's Super Rails i see they are made of either 1/8 or 3/16, the ones i were looking at were 1/4 but they were also another 100 bucks more. Im assuming you have 3/16 is that plenty strong? Along with my armor i plan on doing a budget boost untill i can get some more money. With the lower stance of onle 2 inches would you say i should go with the 1/4?
                Last edited by JeepJunkie; 06-03-04, 06:28 PM.
                B R E T T

Comment

actually they are about 70 bucks more for the 1/4 inch rails
                  B R E T T

Comment

3/16 is plenty, 1/4 is excessive.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ok so thats good to know, aside from rockrails what other skid should i get; gas tank, engine/transmission, transfer case, front diff?
                      B R E T T

Comment

the stock gas skid is good, for a while (if you have one), a diff skid is always nice, and the stock t-case skid will probably be fine for what your doing. The engine/tranny skid would be the last on my list
                        Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Gas tank skid? Mine has like a 1/8 piece of some cheapo sorta plastic
                          B R E T T

Comment

JeepJunkie: that's not a skid, that's the gas tank.

I'd suggest you consider a set of bumpers. They will give you proper tug points. The Missus really likes her rear bumper from Custom 4x4. They added clevis shackle points on request. They can also add a receiver hitch if that is your preference.

Can't remember who did her front bumper right now, but it is really beefy and the mount points go very far along the unibody. She has used her front bumper as an attachment point for her winch using a snatch block. This doubles the force on the bumper and it didn't even wimper or groan.
                            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
                            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
                              JeepJunkie: that's not a skid, that's the gas tank.

I'd suggest you consider a set of bumpers. They will give you proper tug points. The Missus really likes her rear bumper from Custom 4x4. They added clevis shackle points on request. They can also add a receiver hitch if that is your preference.

Can't remember who did her front bumper right now, but it is really beefy and the mount points go very far along the unibody. She has used her front bumper as an attachment point for her winch using a snatch block. This doubles the force on the bumper and it didn't even wimper or groan.
                              the plastic is not the actual tank is it? i looked under there and the plactic covers the metal tank...

As for rear bumper im just gonna be using the hitch i have and for(eventually i want to make my own). Front bumper; Chris is gonna make me one sooner or later .
                              B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                              X