Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing

I need some clarity on the issue of flat towing, can a 95' YJ be flat towed with the transfer case in 2WD and the trans in neutral ?

I ask this because I have a Aussie Locker in the front with the axle disconnect still functional and with the aussie it will not tow with the t-case in neutral because that connects both front and rear drive shafts and the left front wheel turns a rear wheel speed.
    Makes for real ugly left turns !!

I don't have a front locker but I've heard towing becomes a different animal with the addition of a front locker in a YJ. I've decided that when I do get a front locker I will just start removing/securing both driveshafts.
    To answer your question, I wouldn't tow it in 2 wheel drive. I did it once on accident and the Jeep felt like it was hopping (can't explain it better than that). It was only for a short distance until I checked everything again but it isnt' something I would do long distances.
    Last edited by Jason; 09-20-11, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I think Jason has got the right idea. There's no question about what the axles are doing.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I had a 95 YJ. I tried to flat tow it the "proper" way, whenever I deccelorated, it made a weird noise that was not good. Thinking F it, if it breaks I'll get an Atlas. I put the T-case in 2wd and the tranny in neutral. I towed it from Gardena to Calico. I stopped in Apple Valley and checked it, for over heating, or anything noticeable. Everything was great. I flat towed it several times, this way and never had an issue.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I put the T-case in 2wd and the tranny in neutral.
          This is what I was fishing for, someone who had done it this way for a long distance.

I have been looking at the way the T-case is arranged internally and there is no reason it cannot be left it 2wd. The oil pump is driven by the rear output / main shaft so it will not be starved for lube.

The transmission should be fine in neutral, unless of course it pops into gear. (that can be prevented)

Comment

t case in neutral and tranny in gear. That is the proper way to do it.
            1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I ask this because I have a Aussie Locker in the front with the axle disconnect still functional and with the aussie it will not tow with the t-case in neutral because that connects both front and rear drive shafts and the left front wheel turns a rear wheel speed.
              Makes for real ugly left turns !!

Comment

i towed a tj with detroits front and rear and never had a problem. tcase in neutral and tranny in gear.

Comment

i towed a tj with detroits front and rear and never had a problem. tcase in neutral and tranny in gear.
                  Did you have manual hubs on the front axle ?

Comment

I flat tow quite regularly... CJ-7 with Detroit lockers front and back... T-case in neutral and tranny in drive...
                    Regards,
                    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Nope. Stock D30 with Detroit and chromo axles.

Comment

This is the best explanation I've seen as to why: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3103/index.html
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                          That is exactly right. The tranny is put in gear or Park to prevent it from spinning when it is not being lubricated. The t-case must be in Neutral then so you can tow it. This is the factory specified way to flat-tow or tow-dolly a Wrangler with the 231 t-case. It doesn't matter if there are lockers or not. Remember to unlock the steering wheel with the ignition key so the front tires can track properly through turns.
                          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
                          X