Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Adding a License Plate Lamp

The license plate was relocated to the spare tire carrier and when it was, It didn't have a light on it. Well paranoid me tries to minimize the chance of the nice CHP officer an excuse to pull me over. A dozen things could be written up on any customized Jeep without much trouble. Mine included.

So today, I mounted a lamp to the handle that screws on to hold the tire. The handle is 1-1/4" OD pipe. I used a 1-1/4" pipe clamp and a 5" + piece of 1x1/4" aluminum bar.

I installed a plug on the wiring so when I have to remove the tire, I can unplug the lamp, but leave it on the handle. The plug is normally behind the plate, but here I just pulled it up for the photo.

Sorry about the photo quality, I only had my phone camera available. But you get the idea.

I just realized that you can click on the photo to make it larger and it's a lot easier to see what I talked about.
    Attached Files
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I need to do the same thing one day before I get popd. Curtis had some neat bolt lights I wonder where he got them?

Comment

P-Boyz, Vato Zone and the like.
      All slow and no show

Comment

Steve, is that your nick name for these guys? Too funny.

Roger, I know, I know you don't want to take chances my friend. P-Boyz was just to close to Po' boys.

Comment

Hey Mitch, I got P-boyz from my wife and Vato-Zone from Rat who lives in Guadalahabra. That's some funny shit there.
          All slow and no show

Comment

Great stuff Roger! It's always good when we can have our vehicles the way WE want them and not be red-flagging our hobby by breaking any laws.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
              I need to do the same thing one day before I get popd. Curtis had some neat bolt lights I wonder where he got them?
              Flea bay is where I got mine.

Comment

You guys are killin' me! Great stuff

So, would Napa be Nappy? :dunno:
                MJR moderator
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I drove for 2 years without a light on my tire carrier no issues, then leaving a buddies house at 1am on weekend got stopped. That was the excuse the officer gave me but was more concerned about drinking. Let me go no issues. I now have a light on there, so I wouldnt have to worry again. Another friend of mine got pulled over two hours after picking up his truck with new tire carrier by CHP for no light. Luckily there was an Vato-zone at bottom of the off ramp and the CHP followed him to make sure he bought a light for it.

I agree in not providing a reason for them to stop us and then definitely need to leave the attitiude behind so we don't provide more reasons for them to look for other possible deficiencies.

Comment

This is also a option: http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=LED1630
                    Simple to install and look cool also, just a thought.

Comment

That's pretty cool, but it costs $39.95 + tax & shipping. I have $15.00 total in mine. That's the Po' boy way!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                      X