Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Towing

Hey all, we just purchased a motor home and will need to set up the jeep to be towed behind it. I see tow bars from $200 to $1000. As much as I dont want to look into my mirrors and see my jeep rolling down the road, I am willing to purchase a quality tow bar...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the Stowaway Hitch. http://www.bigdiscountrv.com/ProdImages/14-6000th.gif. Easy to set up. Arms are adjustable. A little costly but worth the bucks.

Comment

I've been Towing my Jeep for years with the Reese adjustable tow bar from Pep Boys. Works just fine. Never had a problem. If you have D-ring mounts on you bumper you can get brackets that will allow the bar to tow from that point.
      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I have a tow bar with D-ring mounts that you can have for $100. I set my YJ up to flat tow but never towed it. I don't have one but I would also be on the look out for a "Brake buddy".
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Excellent suggestion about the Brake Buddy. I have towed with and without one. If I can help it, I will never go without my Brake Buddy again. It makes a HUGE difference in braking distance. Its not cheap. But it is well worth the money. I found mine on Craig's List. Good luck.

Another good thing about the adjustable tow bar. If you change your front bumper, you can readjust it to fit.
          It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
            I have a tow bar with D-ring mounts that you can have for $100. I set my YJ up to flat tow but never towed it. I don't have one but I would also be on the look out for a "Brake buddy".
            Thanks, but after looking at so many tow bars this week, I think i'm going with a blue ox...I'll tow it for a while and see it it feels, then maybe get a brake buddy after the new year.

Comment

Be sure to flat tow only with your transmission in Park or in gear (NOT in Neutral) and your transfer case in Neutral.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

i was just asked about that by a buddy who tows a land cruiser, and I said I had no clue! I assumed the tranny and transfer case go to neutral. So putting the tranny in gear allows oil to move through the it, keeping it alive so to speak...right? And then the tranfer case in neutral...ok. Perfect.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by one_crf_pilot View Post
                  i was just asked about that by a buddy who tows a land cruiser, and I said I had no clue! I assumed the tranny and transfer case go to neutral. So putting the tranny in gear allows oil to move through the it, keeping it alive so to speak...right? And then the tranfer case in neutral...ok. Perfect.

Thanks,
                  Placing the transmission in Park or in gear prevents it from spinning which prevents damage from a lack of lubrication while being towed.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

okay, I get it now. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X