Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000-2006 TJ Radiator fan upgrade info.

I posted this on another board. You guys need to read it too.:tongue:

BTW:For those that have the spin on fan clutch only. 2000 through 2006 with the 4.0L.

There are Many threads when summer comes about 4.0L TJ's that run hot at slow speeds and idling. They run hot at slow speeds because the stock 5 blade fan does not move enough air to remove heat from the radiator.

Jeep used to offer a 7 blade fan and clutch upgrade but it's gone.

I work at a Radiator and AC shop and see it often. I began to look for another fan that would cool the radiator better w/o going to an electric fan. Usually electric fans cause more trouble.

I even went to the extent of drilling a hole in my fan clutch and bolting it solid. This helped alot but the gas milage and noise was unbearable. It would still heat up if idling even with the bolted fan clutch and AC on.

I reciently had an 86 Mustang in the shop and it had an 8 blade 18inch fan on the front of it's 5.0. So I went to PicAPart to find one.

Didn't find any Mustangs.

I did find a 1993 Ford Explorer with an 18 inch 10 blade fan. I unscrewed the fan and clutch from the Explorer, paid $8 and took the fan and clutch home.

The fan and clutch screwed right onto my 02 Jeep waterpump. Took all of 7 minutes and 5 of those minutes were spent removing the coolant over flow bottle. Once it's out of the way the stock fan and clutch slides right out and the Ford parts slide back in.

So there you have it. A 10 blade fan upgrade.

You must use the ford fan and it's clutch.

A new fan is $85 from Ford. They will ask you if you want a 10 or 9 blade fan.

ORiley gets $65 for a new Hayden fan clutch.

The auto parts stores do sell a new 9 blade fan for the Explorer for about $35. It is supposed to replace the 10 blade fan. I'm betting that the 9 blade fan is still an ugrade over the Jeep 5 blade fan.

Anyway on to the pics.

Stock jeep fan vs 93 Explorer fan.

The new fan is a perfect fit!

Idling it pulls enough air to keep a towel on my grill. It's amazingly quiet too. Much quieter than the stock Jeep fan. It also removes more heat from the AC condensor so the AC blows colder at slow speeds to.

There you have it.
    My contribution of the day

Cool! - bad pun
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

:thumbs_upGreat find. Thanks
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

You still had cooling issues with that(Looks big) custom aluminum radiator? How many core and where did you get it. I wonder if I can get that fan to work on my 97?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
          You still had cooling issues with that(Looks big) custom aluminum radiator? How many core and where did you get it. I wonder if I can get that fan to work on my 97?
          Doesn't your waterpump turn the other way, you can try to hunt down this combo
          Found a 1986 mustang HD fan clutch and 1993 explorer 9 blade fan.

Comment

Dont know???

Comment

Dont know???
              Will in a day or so, he just picked it up, wil let you know the result, should work good though it turns the correct way and a HD fan clutch is always good it's simple when it's done and it sucks a rowel against the grille at idle it draws good air

Comment

Very nice. Not often you can upgrade so easily and so cheap. Thanks for the info.
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

I strongly believe more airflow will solve my running a bit to warm issues. This fan might do the trick. Good find and JY upgrade.
                  Last edited by Jeeperator; 07-12-11, 07:51 AM.

Comment

It's just a 2R made by Silla.They are $150ish on Fleabay.

Comment

Originally posted by chris142 View Post
                      It's just a 2R made by Silla.They are $150ish on Fleabay.
                      Big radiator or not, lack of air flow through the radiator will heat up and engine

Comment

I was helping my son the other night on his 2000 Explorer and my attention was immediately drawn to his 10 blade fan but I didn't pursue it any further. I have been long looking for the D.C. 7 blade fan for my 2001 Wrangler. I have also seen the Flexalite 5917 6 blade fan for replacement as well. Have you given any consideration to using an injection molded fan as far as water crossings. I think that may be the only down side. Thanks so much for sharing your find.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeping_AZ View Post
                          I was helping my son the other night on his 2000 Explorer and my attention was immediately drawn to his 10 blade fan but I didn't pursue it any further. I have been long looking for the D.C. 7 blade fan for my 2001 Wrangler. I have also seen the Flexalite 5917 6 blade fan for replacement as well. Have you given any consideration to using an injection molded fan as far as water crossings. I think that may be the only down side. Thanks so much for sharing your find.
                          The 7 blade fan is no longer available from Jeep. I too have been looking for one for several years. If you give the parts guy the # for the 7 blade fan it crosses over to the 5 blade fan and he will bring out the 5 blade fan.

As far as water crossings go. When I was 16 and just getting into Jeepin and old guy told me something I will never forget. He said "Don't make them fly and don't make them float". Since then I have not jumped my cars or went through deep water. Those 2 things tear cars/Jeeps up fast.

I guess a guy could go to an Explorer forum and ask how the plastic fan does in deep water.

Comment

Thanks for posting this almost free mod! I hit the junk yard last weekend and found the 9 Blade fan in a 96 Crown Victoria. I could'nt find any Explorers or Mustangs at my Pic-a-part. The 9 blade fan cost me $5.50! Ended up using my stock fan clutch, but has been working awsome! Running cool and smooth all week in the heat of Vegas... Moves a ton of air and quieter than the stock fan. Great mod and the junk yards are full of them!
                            That's a BIG rock!

Comment

I want to do this mod for my automatic. Gonna have to go hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X