Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission cooler

ok so i need to install a tranny cooler on my xj. i blew my tranns on its last summer because it over heated going up the pass. i do not plan on using my ac system anymore so i was thinking about using the ac condensor as a trans cooler. its big and its already got a spot in front of the rad. i plan on taking the tranny completely out of the rad loop. can this work or is it a better idea to spend money and buy a trans cooler? also being that i dont plan on using the a/c system anymore what is the best way to go about deleting it. i do want to keep the ac pump in its place. (no need to take it out to put in a pulley) i might use it for OBA later on. i have never installed a trans cooler before so i dont exactly know what to do or how to do it. a guy on another forum came up with the ac condensor idea. i just wanted to ask people that i trust to see if this is a good idea. i want to remove all of the ac componets i can from under the hood. in a renix era xj the more room you can get the better. thanks

You're on track. When you cut the cooler lines from the tranny, double flare the ends to give a smooth flare to retain the hoses. If you don't flare them, they can blow off. I never could figure out how engineers figured you could cool transmission fluid by running it through hot water??? Make sure it doesn't leak and that it's flushed out before you run it. As far as how to do it, remove the cooling lines from the radiator tank. It will leak - be ready. You can either cut the tubes and remove the nuts, or just secure them a few inches back with a zip-tie on either side. Now slightly bend the lines to give some clearance and add the appropriate length and size of FUEL RATED rubber hose. Do not use plain old rubber hose such as for windshield wiper fluid. The chemical reaction to ATF and heat with the pressures will cause them to blow apart. Fuel line rubber hose will do fine. Keep us posted.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

how do i go about deleting the ac system? do i need to cap anything off or do i just unbolt and take out what i dont want /need? do i need to leave any of the components for any reason?

Comment

The idea of the transmission fluid going to the radiator is not to cool it. The engine heats up a lot faster than the transmission does. So the intent is to get the transmission to operating temperture faster to avoid damaging the transmisison.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

i understand that but in so cal its not an issue. if we were back east maybe. my trans overheated and took a crap on me so i need to eliminate the problem. im going to remove the the radiator loop and use the condensor for the trans cooler. the cajon pass sucks and anyone who drives a jeep up it knows it. the way i drive the trans will warm up fast enough.

Comment

I'd go external for cooling. No need to heat up the radiator trying to cool the trans. Just my 2cents

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              I'd go external for cooling. No need to heat up the radiator trying to cool the trans. Just my 2cents
              my thought exactly

Comment

Have run them both ways and running thru the radiator seem to cool better??? have you ever took a trans temp coming out of the pump???? They get hottttttt 300+ Deg's On a hard pull thats why you put the trans gauge on the return side!!! The hot side would freak you out!! Just my 02 Cents.

Comment

Working...
                X