Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairlead question for synthetic line

Do I have to use a hause fairlead for synthetic line or can I use a roller fairlead with the metal rollers?

I would think the line would get stuck or tangled in the rollers.

Comment

Provided it is a new roller fairlead, and not one that has been used with a cable in the past, you'll be fine. I used my standard Warn roller fairlead for years with an amsteel blue line for years with zero issues.

You do need to be sure that the steel on the lower edge of your mount is out of the way of the line for downward pulls. Otherwise, there is no problem in running one.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The roller one I have has maybe 2 pulls on it, but no sharp Knicks or anything like that. I bought a new fairlead then found out my steel line was no good anymore and then bought the syn line

Comment

Viking sells a delron replace roller specifically designed for synthetic line:

http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.html
          Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            I would think the line would get stuck or tangled in the rollers.
            It really can't when it's under tension. Most modern roller fairleads have the rollers so close together that you couldn't force the line into them with no tension on the line and it becomes impossible when the line is under load. The only thing you need to watch for and this is for any line, is to keep your angles such that the line can't slide up or down off the side rollers and get into the corners. That situation will cut either style of line.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

I use the standard roller fairlead, with synthetic line, works great. Just make sure there are no burrs on the metal rollers before you use it.
              06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                I use the standard roller fairlead, with synthetic line, works great. Just make sure there are no burrs on the metal rollers before you use it.
                Yep, but another big mistake I see very often with synthetic line useage is putting a tube thimble and big safety hook on the line and then combining that with an aluminum fairlead. The hooks are so long that the tube thimble winds up partially inside the line slot when stored for travel. There is a real risk of the steel thimble raising a burr in the opening which can shred your line under load.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                  Yep, but another big mistake I see very often with synthetic line useage is putting a tube thimble and big safety hook on the line and then combining that with an aluminum fairlead. The hooks are so long that the tube thimble winds up partially inside the line slot when stored for travel. There is a real risk of the steel thimble raising a burr in the opening which can shred your line under load.
                  thats something i'll make sure to watch for. i want to go back to the roller because i'm not a very big fan of having my hook on my tow hook and some line exposed. i like the roller because i can pull the hook in tight

Comment

I use this as a stop,,http://www.winchsaver.com/for60to95lbw.html
                    06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                    07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                      IMO, you're better off with a Safety Thimble with either fairlead style.
                      I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
                      X