Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Click noise coming from my steering box

So I noticed a slight click noise when I turn the steering wheel back and forth . . . traced it down the the steering box. I checked the fluid and it is a bit low so I figured I'd top it off first and see if that does anything. Any ideas around whether this is normal or if this is the start of a bigger problem? Is there a special type of steering fluid I need to get?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

be sure all the hardware securing the box to the frame is tight and check the tie rod end on the pitman arm.
    On older TJ's there were a lot of problems with the factory weld cracking on the frame side of the box mount but thats not usually a problem for the later ones. jeep steering pumps arent real picky on the type of fluid.. about any power steering fluid will do.
    It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I saw in the book it take ATF+4 which I had a bottle of around so I topped it off. The click is still there, it's only when I go from one direction to the other with the steering wheel, only one click. I have to check it out closer, I have a skid on it so it's tough to see.

Comment

If ya have a hammer a small one it will work! But remember to Hammer in the MORNING!!..LOL.. Sorry Joe had to say it..How you been??
        "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Have someone you trust turn it lock to lock while you listen to the box with a stethoscope. If you don't have a stethoscope, a screwdriver with a rounded end on the handle works good too. Just press the rounded end of the handle against your ear and put the blade tip on the component you want to listen to. Also look at the joint in the shaft. Not sure if they use a u-joint or the old rag style. Could also be slop in a slip coupling.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
            Have someone you trust turn it lock to lock while you listen to the box with a stethoscope. If you don't have a stethoscope, a screwdriver with a rounded end on the handle works good too. Just press the rounded end of the handle against your ear and put the blade tip on the component you want to listen to. Also look at the joint in the shaft. Not sure if they use a u-joint or the old rag style. Could also be slop in a slip coupling.
            I had a buddy over last week and had him move the steering wheel while I tried to find the sound . . . I thought it would have been one of the tie rod ends but from the best I could tell the sound was coming from the box itself. It only makes the sound once when you first change directions, it's hard to hear with the motor on, but with the Jeep off, you can just shake the steering wheel side to side a couple inches and you'll hear the click sound. Starting to think I might be too worried about the noises having driven the smooth van lately!

Comment

Cracked sector shaft?
              -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                Cracked sector shaft?
                I have no idea what that is. It's not a loud noise.

Comment

The shaft that the pitman arm is attached to that comes out of the bottom of the box. It carries the full torsional load of your steering. In a worst case scenario, big tires wedged up against rocks etc. while trying to turn the load from the drag ink against the pitman arm will cause the box mount to tear the frame or, if the frame doesn't tear - the shaft will crack from twisting. All of this is provided the drag link doesn't bend. There are far more knowlegeable folks here, but this is where I'd start looking.
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

If it's not leaking and you don't have any slop then I wouldn't worry about it. My jeep has been doing it since I bought it, and at 95k miles it still feels fine.
                    We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Jake View Post
                      If it's not leaking and you don't have any slop then I wouldn't worry about it. My jeep has been doing it since I bought it, and at 95k miles it still feels fine.
                      Thanks Jake! That's kinda what I'm thinking at this point. I only notice it when the Jeep is off . . . I just happened to be trying to track down some other noises when I stumbled upon it. I haven't seen any drops on the ground or anything and would as it's in the garage so I don't think it's leaking, although the reservoir needed to be topped off, but it is 5 years old so that didn't seem to be a big deal. I think the Jeep is just sitting too much now that I work from home and am out dirtbiking vs. wheeling all the time. Sounds like an old man creeking, squeeking, etc now days.

Comment

Heh. You should hear my jeep. My lower control arm bushings are bad so it sounds like a rusty swingset going down the road. I'm thinking of just getting currie arms, im getting tired of bushings.
                        We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Working...
                        X