Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes..

Ok there is no such thing as a dumb question,, so here goes...what do I need to do my rear drum brakes?? I have a 97 tj a dana 44 rear..do I need rotors/pads? not sure but I need a complete new set on the rear..Thanks in advance everyone..Geeb
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Just wondering what makes you think you need shoes? If you really do need them, you need rear brake shoes and your drums turned. If drums are over max alowable id after you turn them you need new drums. While your in there you might as well make sure the wheel cylinder are good also. Lift rubber boot cover and see if they are leaking & replace and bleed if necessary. There are special brake tools to do the job but I usually can do it with a long screw driver and a good pair of pliers. Make sure you do one side at a time that way if you forget where or how a part goes back on you can reference the other side. Make sure you readjust them properly when your done.

I recently did my rear drums brakes when I swaped my axles.Whats funny the guy who owned my jeep before me put primary shoes on one side and secondary shoes on the other. Another funny one I was checking a buddies car because his breaks were grinding really bad and he just had them done by a wanna be tweaker mechanic. Low and behold the guy put the pad on backwards so the metal was against the rotor lol.
    Last edited by Jeeperator; 04-28-11, 08:12 AM.

Comment

All there is to add is to look at which side has the longer shoe. Hold the new ones up to the old ones while they're in place and set them down with the top facing toward the Jeep, and on their respective sides so when you pick them up you just lift them into place without any mental gymnastics.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

I have noticed atleast with the new shoes I just bought all the shoes are the same length. Who knows why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
          Make sure you do one side at a time that way if you forget where or how a part goes back on you can reference the other side.
          This is very good advice.
          Rich

Comment

Thanks you,ll don,t sound to awful tuff!!lol

Comment

I took a couple pictures with my point and shoot, after I took the drum off. Its a great way to make sure you can put it back together the right way.
              It was like that when I got here.

Comment

If all else fails come visit me Geeb

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                  Geeb... Can I second this statement? Aart was the guy who was finally able to get my CJ to stop! and by the way Aart, Thanks!
                  Regards,
                  Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

You are welcome Randy and it's good to see the Not So Broken Jeep tackle trails and make it home without a problem

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                      I took a couple pictures with my point and shoot, after I took the drum off. Its a great way to make sure you can put it back together the right way.
                      Thanks Randy x2 on Arts work he has baled me out a ton of times...

Comment

everyone always says the rear brakes last forever all they need is an adjustment. this is not entirely true. after time the inside of the drum becomes glazed and the shoes get caked up with dirt and dust and eventually lose their stopping power because all of that junk get smashed into the shoe. they also lose their temperment from getting hot. especially cheap brakes like autozone 19.99 special. i try to do my rear brakes every other time i do the front brakes. even if they need it or not. if the pads and everything looks good i might only turn the drums just to get a clean contact surface.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                          Art I will most likely take ya up on it sometime?? Thanks

Comment

You are welcome buddy

Comment

Remember art give them a fish they eat for a day, teach them to fish they eat for a lifetime. You know what I mean lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X