Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help needed with sentry key light on dash?? jeep won't start!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed with sentry key light on dash?? jeep won't start!

I just had a local mechanic install an engine into my 02 Jeep grand cherokee limited. Everything is hooked up and in place; but the poor thing won't start! I noticed that the key light is on on the dash board. I just had 2 new keys programmed to this Jeep about a year ago as well as a new immobolizer installed at that time as well. Can someone please tell me what has happened and what I do to get this beast on the road again? thank you for reading my post and I sure hope to hear from you!!! I really need help, this thing has been sucking my money away and leaving me without a car but I still love my Jeep.... I would just rather be driving it than watching it sit in a garage!! lol

thank you karen

Call around to your local locksmiths. Most guys can come to your Jeep and program the keys to the Jeep. If the key light is on in the dash, the Jeep is not recognizing the RFID in the key. I am not sure what would cause the ECU to lose the key programing. My locksmith only charges me $35 for the programing(per key).
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Karen, is the light flashing or steady? On an 2005, a flashing light means that the system doesn't recognize the key. A solid light means that the system failed its self-test. I don't know if it is the same for an 02 GC.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

I believe that the light stays on; so what would that mean and what will I have to do? After the mechanic replaced the engine it started but then shut back off and that light came on.

Comment

Seems to me that the SKIM module is not recognizing the key and therefore shutting down the vitals. If so, you would need to reprogram it with the correct PIN for it to work properly, a dealer can do that for a minimal fee.
          [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by itisme1973 View Post
            I just had a local mechanic install an engine into my 02 Jeep grand cherokee limited. Everything is hooked up and in place; but the poor thing won't start! I noticed that the key light is [color=black]Aftermarket Parts[/color] on on the dash board. I just had 2 new keys programmed to this Jeep about a year ago as well as a new immobolizer installed at that time as well. Can someone [color=black]Car Accessories[/color] please tell me what has happened and what I do to get this beast on the road again? thank you for reading my post and I sure hope to hear from you!!! I really need help, this thing has been sucking my money away and leaving me without a car but I still love my Jeep.... I would just rather be driving it than watching it sit in a garage!! lol

thank you karen
            Yea I would suggest just taking it to the dealer. They might be a bit expensive though depending on what dealer you are going to. Some are cheaper then others.

Comment

Hello I know this is an old post but I have a 2003 jeep cherokee limited 4.7 v8 with same issues if you found the fix for your or some sort of insight would be great I am a mechanic and have some skills. So I changed the crank position sensor tried a different battery key dancing unhooking battery in all different kinds if ways and unlocking with keys and the sentry light just stays on not flashing will crank all day and won't start has Guage is on empty and I know there is has in there and no radio lights but it works only 127000 miles and has 2 keys 2 fobs both fobs work niether key does anything both work in door

Comment

Same problem

Originally posted by Jackofalltrades View Post
                Hello I know this is an old post but I have a 2003 jeep cherokee limited 4.7 v8 with same issues if you found the fix for your or some sort of insight would be great I am a mechanic and have some skills. So I changed the crank position sensor tried a different battery key dancing unhooking battery in all different kinds if ways and unlocking with keys and the sentry light just stays on not flashing will crank all day and won't start has Guage is on empty and I know there is has in there and no radio lights but it works only 127000 miles and has 2 keys 2 fobs both fobs work niether key does anything both work in door
                Jackofalltrades - did you find a solution? I am having this same problem with my 2002 Grand Cherokee - I have had intermittent electrical problems with the door/window electronics and now it won't start - cranks over and over but won't turn over and the key light comes on, sometimes the low fuel light comes on or the e-brake light.

If you figured this out would love to hear

Comment

I just had same problem

Originally posted by itisme1973 View Post
                  I just had a local mechanic install an engine into my 02 Jeep grand cherokee limited. Everything is hooked up and in place; but the poor thing won't start! I noticed that the key light is on on the dash board. I just had 2 new keys programmed to this Jeep about a year ago as well as a new immobolizer installed at that time as well. Can someone please tell me what has happened and what I do to get this beast on the road again? thank you for reading my post and I sure hope to hear from you!!! I really need help, this thing has been sucking my money away and leaving me without a car but I still love my Jeep.... I would just rather be driving it than watching it sit in a garage!! lol

thank you karen
                  Turned out to be a fuse under dash. The problem is that the fuse door shows it's not used. I pulled it out and sure night it was blown. Put new fuse in and it fired up. The fuse was above the yellow block for air bag and no I'm not talking about the one that above it its to the right of the other. You will have two red ten amps, pull them both and replace

Comment

Just had it happen in the '07 JKU limo. If anyone has had this in JK's, please post your findings. I'll post when it's resolved. At least the JK is well mannered enough to die in the driveway and not ten miles from home
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Well, 12.5 volts. No problems with the cables. Disconnected and re-connected after about three minutes (to let all capacitors in any electronics drain down). Started right up and runs better. I plan to set up a normally closed solenoid with a remote rocker switch to reset it if it happens to the family and I'm not there.
                      God forgives, rocks don't
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
                      X