Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which winch??

I'm going to finally purchase a winch for the Jeep. Smittybilt priced pretty good BUT is it reliable like the Warn winches??
    Smittybilt XRC 8 Winch W/Synthetic Rope & Aluminum Fairlead
    Or
    Warn M8000 Self Recovery Winch

Help!

Between the two I would go with Warn. You also might want to check out Superwinch such as the EPi9.0S, Amazon usually has a good deal on them. I have used all three and am currently running a Superwinch. I do love the Warns but I felt the Superwinch was a better deal that would meet my needs.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Just-A-TJ View Post
      Between the two I would go with Warn. You also might want to check out Superwinch such as the EPi9.0S, Amazon usually has a good deal on them. I have used all three and am currently running a Superwinch. I do love the Warns but I felt the Superwinch was a better deal that would meet my needs.

Hope that helps!
      Thanks!
      Superwinch EPi 9.0 Winch
      Yeah I remember in the early eighties Superwinch was seen everywhere.
      If I do go with the Superwinch I would be using the winch plate
      http://www.quadratec.com/products/12114_202_07.htm
      (I'm keeping the stock bumper)

Superwinch Winch-mount Plate
      For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ
      Quadratec Part No: 12114.202

I'm still researching. Superwinch looks good plus great reviews too!
      Thank you
      Fredo

Comment

I was in your position last year and I ended up going with the Warn 9.5ti .. It has the fastest no load speed of all and My best jeepin friend said he was most likely the donkey who is going to have to be hookin it up and winding it back on so get the fast one! Besides, if you're a trailplug like me and use it alot, that speed will get you out of the way alot faster. I think it's an essential tool and should not be skimped on. Thats why I got a Warn.

Comment

I've had the Warn 9500i for like 8 yrs now and it's unstoppable.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

x2 on the Superwinch. Mine gets a lot of use mostly on the AAT workdays and has worked hard for 5 years with no issues. If your choosing between the Smittybuilt and Warn I 'd go Warn.
            Check out .

Comment

IMHO as much as you use the winch I would get the cheapest one that does the job. My Smitty Built xrc 8000 worked perfect the 2 times I had to use it in the past 3 years. Warn is better though at ~ double the price. If you plan on doing the more difficult trails where you constantly use it get the better one.

Comment

The warn's pull a TONNNNNN. You might need to upgrade your battery. I think my xd9000i is rated to pull 185 amps. I had trouble finding anything to fuse it that could handle over 150 amps, even looking into marine applications it was hard to find. I eventually went with anderson powerpoles (thank you ham radio) that are rated to 350 amps, but I have yet to crimp/solder them onto the wire.
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Alfredo,

I went with the Smittybuilt XRC10 10,000lb winch. I've used it 5 times and it works perfectly. You can pick one up with a synthetic line for $500.00 from 4 Wheel Parts. They have specials that include an aluminum fairlead, free winch cover, and or $50 rebate (=$500 winch price). If money was not an issue I would say that the Warn is the industry leader in high quality winches, also they are the high price leader. If you are going to use this as an AAT trail repair guy, then I would go with what ever Chuck or Mat would suggest. My winch was puchased for the rare trail emergency and has served that purpose well. My .02 cents worth.

Mitch

Comment

I have a Warn XD9000i that I moved from my CJ7 to my JK. Been a great winch for a lot of years. Bought it when they were first introduced. I also have a Warn 8000 on my FToy. I run synthetic on both winches and am a STRONG believer on synthetic for our sport.

My first winch on my CJ7 was a Ramsey 8000 (don't remember exact model). It was waaayyyy to slow to be safely used to winch waterfalls (Surprise Canyon was my first experience using the winch extensively). The winch was just too slow to be able to drive while winching and not causing slack in the line. That is why I went to the XD9000i.
                    Rich

Comment

Warn has a great (and well deserved) reputation, and you pay for the name. Superwinch is a great winch as well and I have 4 years and hundreds of heavy pulls with my Superwinch 9000IS. If you are only going to use it for self recovery and money is an issue go with the Smittybuilt. If you plan on doing heavy work with it spend the extra and get either Warn or Superwinch.
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I went with the Smitty XCR8000 price and warranty was too good to pass up. I wouldn't want to dangle my jeep over the side of a cliff with it but it's been working good. I've used it pulling others out about 10 times now. Mud Snow, stuck between rocks, up hill, No problems whatsoever. For an extra $20.00 they gave me a lifetime warranty. I think the winch, warranty and shipping only came to $340.00. We have them on several of our hotshot trucks also and I haven't heard any complaints and they're used more than mine is.

Comment

I was going to say that the early Smittybuilts werent that great but their quality/quality control has improved a lot. Several people I wheel with have and use them regularly with out any issues. I am also suprised that MileMarker winches havnt been brought up yet as another option. The entry MileMarker 8000# electric is $330.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the help.
                            I have been researching and I decided to go with the Superwinch epi9.0.
                            http://www.quadratec.com/products/92140_006_07.htm

You cant beat the price and the warranty on it plus the reviews are awesome.
                            Thanks again!
                            Fredo

Comment

Working...
                            X