Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! whats causing this squeak under my LJ? Its driving me crazy!!

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Help! whats causing this squeak under my LJ? Its driving me crazy!!

06 LJ - 70k

About a month ago my LJ started to develop this weird creaking from the middle of my Jeep. It sounds like it's coming from the transfer case/transmission skid plate area. The strange thing is I can make it creak by turning the wheels left and right. I know it's not the common "angry sparrows" as I've had this problem already and it sounds nothing like that. This sounds more like a haunted house door creaking. Here is what I've done so far with no remedy:

- Greased zerk fittings on the entire front end (control arms front and rear as well)
    - Sprayed white lithium grease on the steering columm (all the joints in the engine compartment)
    - RE-tightened my skid plate bolts (recently I removed a drop kit)

Like I said it sounds like its coming from the middle of the jeep under the body somewhere. What has me baffled is why it makes this sound there when I turn the front wheels? Does anybody have any ideas? this is seriously starting to make me go crazy. Thanks for any suggestions!
    Last edited by skeletor; 03-10-11, 12:29 PM.

Get under your Jeep with a GOOD/strong light and start looking for somedangthing that is cracked.
    Take some wrenches and check to be sure things are tight.
    Respectfully,
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Try checking your transmission mount. The one that goes between your belly skid and the tranny. Also, the frame could be misdirecting the sound. Have someone turn your steering wheel (with tires on the ground) and check for frame cracks around your steering box.
      [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
      Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
      [/COLOR]

Comment

Do you have a long arm suspension?
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I had the same noise 6 months ago and I chase it for months. It was my bellyup got bent just enought that it was rubbing at the trans mount.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I'm in long beach. PM me if you need someone to help you track it down. I'll be glad to help.

Good Luck Joe
            It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
              Do you have a long arm suspension?
              Short arm. RE 3.5 superflex kit

Comment

Originally posted by Tumbleweed13 View Post
                I'm in long beach. PM me if you need someone to help you track it down. I'll be glad to help.

Good Luck Joe
                Hey thank you very much Joe, I'm going to get under there this weekend and spend some time looking for this insane creaking sound. I'll try all the suggestions. I'll hit you up if I still can't find it.

Comment

Yes! noise has been eliminated. Problem was with the drop kit. I had a .5" drop. When I removed it I was kinda in a hurry and didn't feel like looking for the stock bolts. I just re-used the longer bolts thinking the extra length wouldn't be a big deal as there appears to be plenty room in the frame. The noise didn't start right away so maybe that's why I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

After lubing everything that could be lubed, tighten everything that could be tighten, I decided to put my stock bolts back in since I was under there. Bingo! I don't know why but that did it.

Funny how the hum of big tires don't bug me, soft top flapping, the wind with no top/no doors don't bug, in fact I love it! that's why I own a Jeep. But get a little squeak and I go crazy obsessing over it. Moral of the story... ALWAYS put the stock bolts back.
                  Last edited by skeletor; 03-13-11, 08:27 PM.

Comment

What is this "stock" you speak of? According to my Jeep, they are supposed to be built entirely from other vehicles...
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by skeletor View Post
                      Funny how the hum of big tires don't bug me, soft top flapping, the wind with no top/no doors don't bug, in fact I love it! that's why I own a Jeep. But get a little squeak and I go crazy obsessing over it. Moral of the story... ALWAYS put the stock bolts back.
                      10-4 on that. There are noises that you can't do anything about, and thats ok. But get a new, unexpected noise, and its like its amplified. Go'n down the freeway, top flap'n and the stereo blast'n and all I can hear is my tire carrier squeaking.:censor:
                      It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Working...
                      X