Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Capacity

I recently purchased an 87' winnebago, With a chevy chassis. It has a 454 and Turbo 400, 3speed.

[COLOR="#8b0000"]Does anybody have an idea of the combined weight rating, the drivetrain can handle? [/COLOR]

I know the GVWR, but the combined weight rating is not listed anywhere. I'm trying to figure out my towing capacity. I plan on beef'n up the rear portion of the frame so it can handle as much weight as possible. As well as use a weight distribution hitch.
    It was like that when I got here.

I've got a '90 Bounder, probably the same P-30 chassis as yours. I tow just under 7,000#. The 14' trailer has electric brakes on both axles.

Steve

The 31ft. moho weighs 14,000#
    Last edited by alittleoff; 03-05-11, 03:07 PM.
    All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
      I've got a '90 Bounder, probably the same P-30 chassis as yours. I tow just under 7,000#. The 14' trailer has electric brakes on both axles.

Steve

The 31ft. moho weighs 14,000#
      Just so I'm clear your chassis has the same engine/tranny combo?

That sounds good to me, cuz my rv gvwr is 14.2k. I haven't weighed it yet when its all packed up for the weekend. My trailer also has brakes on both axles.

Comment

Yes, GM Gen III 454ci TBI, Turbo 400 3-sp (built) if the parts were better than stock it got stuffed into the trans.

Also, I have the Banks Ram-Air.
        CAI, headers, cat and muffler.
        It pulls Cajon Pass like a breeze.

Steve
        Last edited by alittleoff; 03-06-11, 05:59 PM.
        All slow and no show

Comment

Originally posted by alittleoff View Post
          Yes, GM Gen III 454ci TBI, Turbo 400 3-sp (built) if the parts were better than stock it got stuffed into the trans.

Also, I have the Banks Ram-Air.
          CAI, headers, cat and muffler.
          It pulls Cajon Pass like a breeze.

Steve
          Nice set up. My 454 is carburated, and my tranny isn't built. At least not that I no of. I do have a tranny and an engine oil cooler. I have a good exhaust set up. Thorelly Headers and a true dual exhaust. It runs strong. The main reason I bought it. I haven't driven it loaded yet. Hope it does as well as yours up Cajon. I like go'n to JV.

Comment

I contacted winnebago. Great customer service. Even for the 3rd owner. It took a bit of talking to get more then a standard answer from the guy. He initially told me the gross combined weight rating was not available. After some chit chat he contacted the chassis shop, and found out the GCWR is only 16k, which isn't good news. But he told me that the limiting factor the frame extensions. With the right improvements I can increase it for 2k more lbs.

Comment

Buy more hitch than you think you will ever use and get it wired for trailer brakes.
              Get tow hooks on the front because someday you WILL need'em
              Respectfully,
              LG aka "Iceman"
              Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
                Buy more hitch than you think you will ever use and get it wired for trailer brakes.
                Get tow hooks on the front because someday you WILL need'em
                Respectfully,
                LG aka "Iceman"
                Hooks on the front are a great idea. I was also think'n the same with the hitch. Probably go'n with 6k capability. Thanks. Good to hear from you Iceman. Its been a long time. I hope everything is go'n good for you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                X