Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope we didn't get a big headache

Hoping to get some idea to where to start. Just picked up a 84 XJ that has been converted to fuel injected from a carb. Dennis says it looks hooked up right. I don't know how long the coversion has been on it, the tags were current until today. How hard is it going to be to get it smogged? Do I have to go to a ref?

Just thought I would ask so I can save leg work and gas.
    Tammy

it should pass no problem. alot of guys swap to fuel injection because of smog reasons. just what ive heard.

Comment

Hopefully you will not have too much trouble. I am helping a friend get his 89 wrangler smoged. He bought it with a TBI kit of some sort. He has failed two smogs. Next we are trying some alcohol additives to his fuel to get the hydrocarbons down.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I know a guy near LA... I have a Saab with an after market exhaust as well as my Jeep. Let's just say the Saab exhaust is mildly modified, and he assisted me in passing the smog test in CA. The shop is near Torrance. Let me know if you need more info.

Comment

I believe you do have to take it too the state referee.The engine needs to be from a newer vehicle which I am sure it is. IIRC you need to make sure all the original smog equipment from the engine doner car is installed also. It also You be amazed how a new cat will clean up emissions.
          Last edited by Jeeperator; 02-09-11, 08:47 AM.

Comment

It depends on the conversion kit. In the early 90's I believe it was Howe that put out the first kit that was smog legal and then a year or two later Mopar actually made a conversion kit. Both of those kits are smog legal retrofits for the original engine however I think they were designed for the Inline 6. There were several other companies making CARB compliant fuel injection kits throughout the 90's for various engines, just not sure how many transfered over to Jeep. If you have the 2.8 V6 then there is a possibilty you have GM injection off of a Camaro or Fiero.

The main first step is to try to determine what FI kit was installed and try to spot an EO# on any of its components or a decal in the engine bay. This will determine how much headache if any you will have.
            Last edited by Pikeman; 02-09-11, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Tammy, I will be up your way for koh. Would be happy to take a look, and let you guys know how to proceed. Don't be afraid of the refferee, they can be really nice.

Basically you need a complete emission system from the same year or newer than the vehicle
              An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Opps! I misread. If it was smogged before just take it to a regular smog station. If they have any concerns and cant find a CARB EO# (executive order)like mentioned above they will tell you to take it to a state referee. Most conversions when done properly have that sticker somwhere so try looking for it. Reminds me of my smog legal 500+ horse power supercharged 1991 chevy truck back in the day.I had a bunch of CARB EO#'s because of all the aftermarket stuff that was on it. Passed smog with flying colors everytime.

Comment

Is it the inline 4? Or the v6?
                  An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Sean
                    When are you planning on comming up? Any help will be great. If you are here Friday night you can count on a steak dinner. I work the rest of the weekend night shift. Dennis will be here.

Comment

Ok I popped the hood, this is what I found out. It's a v6.
                      A MSD Ignition has been installed, found a sticker under the hood that reads Legal for sale and install in the state of CA. Carb executive order D-40-37. Im also seeing alot of Gm parts.

Comment

Oh cool, sounds like your set then. I will be headed up tomorrow, plan to meet skip after he gets off. Work and pick up the trailer. You working this week as well or only the weekend?

Comment

4.3? That eo# is for the msd coil only. Check on the driver door b piller for a state referee sticker. I think it should be by the sticker for the gvwr and recomended tire size.

Comment

Hey guys

Thanks for the help. I will go home and look for that sticker.
                            Can't wait to get my hands dirty to work on this.

Comment

Working...
                            X